16

YeongMi twiddled her thumbs as she sat in the armchair. Ms. Ahn was across from her, staring suspiciously over her notepad, which she had awkwardly held over the bottom of her face, like YeongMi would somehow read it if it lay on the desk. True, she was probably right, but YeongMi still found it unnecessary.

YeongMi guessed that she did it in an attempt to get YeongMi to ask her about what she was so obviously trying to keep a secret. But YeongMi didn't care, and she couldn't find the will to humour the counselor. 

"Miss Yi, you've been doing remarkably well this year." 

It had only been a few weeks, YeongMi hardly found it as a cause of celebration. She was only pacing herself for the imaginative things she would do to cause trouble later. For now, she was laying low, and doing her best to enjoy her time at the school. 

"You know, as the school counselor, I hear a lot of chit chat from the students. You're currently the hot topic, alongside your classmate Mr. Kim."

Well, there were quite a lot of boys at school with the name Kim, but YeongMi restrained herself from commenting that, knowing Ms. Ahn would be less than appreciative of her attitude.

"You're currently dating Mr. Kim, are you not?"

"I really don't think my love life is a necessary topic in these visits. Frankly, I'm only here to keep Mrs. Park off my ass. But if you're so desperately interested, yeah. I'm dating, is that a problem?"

"Quite the opposite, actually. It's very nice to see you finally assimilating into the school and having positive relationships with other students. I'm very happy to see it. This is real progress."

YeongMi rolled her eyes, but forced a smile nonetheless, hoping that it would help her get excused earlier than her designated ending time.

Ms. Ahn smiled fondly to herself, staring at the wall, a sigh full of longing leaving her lips. "I remember when I was in this school. Why, there was a boy, he used to drive me crazy. I did everything for him, but at the end of the day, we parted ways. Not literally a day, but like, in the end, you know." She shook her head, returning to present time and giving YeongMi a strange look. "You know, it's great to have a boyfriend, but your main focus should always be your education. After all, your degree won't leave you after 2 years for some brazilian model named Acacia."

That was oddly specific, but YeongMi didn't want to ask, and have to sit through one of Ms. Ahn's many trips down memory lane. She wasn't even old, but with how she spoke of the past, one would think she was on her deathbed. 

"Of course, school is the best lover, and so on and so forth."

Ms. Ahn chuckled, "well, maybe not so much in the loving department, but the truth is that young love never truly lasts, unless you're lucky, or delusional."

Alright, first it was great that YeongMi was dating, and now it was time for her to accept that Namjoon would ultimately leave her, wonderful. 

"Got it, make love to the school, not the students. Sounds great, I'll keep that in mind, thanks." YeongMi got up quickly, saluting Ms. Ahn before marching out. 

"How'd it go?" 

YeongMi jumped in surprise, relaxing only when she realized it was just Namjoon. He had been waiting for her, and now that she had arrived, he quickly stood up, moving to her side and grabbing her hand as they began walking.

"Well, we're gonna break up and I'm supposed to fuck my school work."

Namjoon, by now, was used to her ridiculous statements, and he only nodded seriously, as if it was the most normal thing ever. 

"Well, you can fuck the building, but I hope I can get a little something on the side."

YeongMi laughed, bumping her hip into Namjoon's so he stumbled to the side, "I guess I could make that happen. Strictly as a side piece, of course."

"Oh, of course, I wouldn't dream of asking to be the main bitch." Namjoon smiled at YeongMi, mindlessly waving their intertwined hands back and forth. 

"Good, you should know your place," because it's right beside YeongMi.