Chapter 5: (F/n)

"I, Beta Levi Ackerman, reject you as my mate."

At the same time the male said those strange words, you felt a twinge – a sudden pain in your heart. However, you were too confused to pay much attention to it. His mate? What was that supposed to mean? And why was he rejecting you?

Before you could ask, the male shoved past you and walked away. He bumped rather roughly into your shoulder, leaving behind a throbbing ache. And that was when you decided enough was enough.

"Hey!" you called after him, angry that he didn't even stop to apologize. "Look, I said I was sorry for running into you last time! You don't have to act like a jerk about it!"

But he just kept walking, as if you hadn't even spoken.

"Fine, be that way," you grumbled. Then you mounted your broom with a huff. Perhaps (c/n) was right – werewolves weren't worth a second thought.

You took off, certain that no one would see you through the trees. You flew higher, and higher, until you rose above that tall line of green. And you set your sights on home.

Yet, as you flew across the cloudy evening sky, that heartache that you had ignored grew bigger, and bigger. It spread across your chest, tightening to the point of pain.

It's the altitude, you told yourself. You'll feel better when you land. Just stay calm. You're fine.

But when you finally touched down in your secluded backyard, you stumbled, clutching at your chest. Goddess, where had this ache come from? What was happening to you?

Stay calm, you reminded yourself. The kitchen...get some herbs...valerian should do.

(C/n) was dozing on the windowsill when you entered the house. Quietly, so as not to wake her, you made your way to the kitchen and pulled the jar of valerian out of the cabinet. There was just enough left for one dose. You took it, and then you went to bed, telling yourself you would be fine after you got some sleep.

You awoke to a miserable pounding in your head, as if someone were hitting your skull with a hammer. You moaned and rolled out of bed, cradling your head in your hands and squeezing your eyes shut. The bright sunlight streaming in through the curtains didn't help your headache at all. What time was it? How long had you slept?

On top of the throbbing in your head, you noticed that the ache in your chest hadn't diminished. If anything, the pain had grown stronger, and it was now becoming difficult to breathe.

Valerian...I just need more valerian... you told yourself. Mustering all of your strength, you dragged yourself to your feet and headed out to the kitchen. You stumbled, catching yourself against the coffee table, and the accompanying noise made (c/n) come running.

"(F/n)? What's wrong?" she asked, concern evident in her voice.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," you rasped, not wanting her to worry. You kept a hand on the wall for support as you made your way into the kitchen. Once there, you started rifling through cabinets, trying to find the jar of valerian.

"You're not fine," the feline insisted, rushing after you. "I'm your familiar – I can tell when you're in distress. Did those dogs hurt you yesterday?"

"I – ah!" you hissed as your head throbbed again, and your vision went spotty for a moment.

"(F/n)?" your cat cried worriedly.

"Valerian," you choked out, knocking over several jars as you searched the cabinet. "I just need some valerian..."

But when you finally found the jar, it was empty.

That's right, you recalled suddenly. I took the last of it before I went to bed.

Once more, your head pounded like a drum, and you swayed on your feet. To stop yourself from panicking, you held onto that single task like a lifeline. I'll be okay. I just need to get valerian.

You stumbled back through the house and out the back door, slipping once or twice on the grass. (C/n) followed you, begging you to tell her what was wrong, but you didn't respond. You didn't know the answer yourself.

Valerian...valerian...

You tripped your way through the forest, your head pains becoming so frequent that your vision was constantly blurry. You had seen some valerian near your house before. You just had to find it again. "(C/n)...I need valerian...help me look..."

Through your haze, you heard the cat's reply. "I thought you weren't allowed to take herbs from the forest. That was your deal with the dogs, remember?"

"I'll pay them later," you groaned. "I can't fly to their town now."

"Here!" the cat exclaimed, batting a few sprigs with her paw.

With a sigh of relief, you fell to your knees in front of the plants and started pulling them up with what little strength you could muster. Then you shoved the roots in your mouth, trying to ignore the dirt that came with them. You knew it wasn't the best way to ingest valerian, but you were desperate. The agony was such that you could hardly breathe or think. Everything seemed to hurt. Your hands and arms were shaking, barely able to grip the small plants.

At last, the valerian was gone. But the pain only grew worse.

"Ahh!" you cried, curling into a ball on the forest floor. Tears slipped down your cheeks as you screamed again and again. Goddess, you felt like you were going to die.

Your familiar looked terrified. "Should I get the coven?" she asked frantically, torn between wanting to call for help and not wanting to leave you alone. "(F/n)?"

But you could only scream.

(C/n)'s eyes went wide. "Please, (f/n), tell me what to do," she begged. "I...I'm only a cat...I can't –"

She cut off when she caught a scent on the wind. "Werewolves," she whispered. Her instincts screamed at her to bolt, but she couldn't leave you behind. You were her witch, her best friend, her...

"Well, well, what have we here?" a deep voice growled. You couldn't understand it, because it was an animal's voice. But (c/n) could.

She bristled, her head snapping in the direction of the sound just as two werewolves emerged from the trees. They were enormous – easily reaching the height of a horse's shoulder. When their eyes landed on you, crying and screaming on the ground, their expressions turned hungry.

"Back off, dogs!" (c/n) hissed with as much bravery as she could muster. "Your Alpha made a deal with the witches! You're not allowed to attack her!"

"Alpha?" one of the wolves chuckled. "You hear this, Galliard? The little kitty thinks we're a part of the pack!"

The wolf called Galliard laughed along with his partner, then turned his predatory gaze on (c/n). "Stupid feline. Haven't you heard? We're Rogues. And that means we don't take orders from anyone. We're free to eat whatever we want." He licked his lips, then flicked his eyes back to you. "And right now, she's on the menu."

"No!" the cat screamed, putting herself between you and the werewolves, hackles raised. She wasn't an idiot – she knew there was nothing she could do. But she was your familiar, and so she would protect you with her life.

The werewolves only laughed before preparing to pounce.

Meanwhile, your agony had become so intense that your body couldn't take it anymore. After one final, feeble cry, you blacked out.