Chapter 7: (F/n)

You were awoken by the sudden absence of your agony. Everything felt fine – better than fine, even. Your body, which was still curled on the soft earth, had been filled with an inexplicable warmth. You didn't know where it had come from, but you never wanted it to leave.

Then you noticed the soft smacking sensation on your face.

"Wake up!" (c/n) was screaming. "You have to wake up! Now!"

You opened your eyes so suddenly that the feline became startled and jumped back. A quick glance around revealed that you were right in the middle of a dogfight, and you were suddenly able to recall the voices you had heard while you were screaming in agony. Two werewolves had come, but they weren't from the pack, and they had wanted to eat you.

One of them was lying dead a dozen feet away. The other was circling a third wolf – a wolf that hadn't been here when you passed out. His left hind leg was grievously injured, and yet, he seemed to be protecting you. 

You couldn't see his face, but something about him felt so familiar that you were certain you knew who he was.

Then the Rogue spoke, and everything became clear. "I'll drop your head at your Alpha's feet, little Beta," he taunted. "Right before I rip him apart."

Beta. You had heard that before. Just yesterday, in fact – from a short male with inhuman beauty and piercing eyes.

"I, Beta Levi Ackerman, reject you as my mate."

You gasped. That jerk was protecting you? But...why?

You didn't have time to think about it. The Rogue lunged at the Beta – at Levi. He was going to kill him to get to you. But Levi wouldn't back down.

Without needing to think, you grabbed a sack of explosive powder from your pocket and threw, igniting it with your fire gift just as it touched the Rogue's flank. It was a perfect hit, and the Rogue dropped to the ground, whimpering.

You jumped to your feet, and Levi whipped his head around to look at you, clearly astonished to see you conscious and standing. You quickly explained your fire gift, but before you had a chance to speak further, the Rogue was preparing to attack again. This time, his target was you.

But Levi was there, knocking the Rogue aside just enough to be a distraction. Taking full advantage of his actions, you threw a second sack of powder into the Rogue's face and lit it. The resulting explosion caused enough of an injury that the Rogue finally backed down. He ran off with a growl of rage, a growl that promised revenge.

You opened your mouth to thank Levi for saving you, but before the words left your throat, he collapsed onto his side. You rushed over, falling on your knees next to him, feeling a twinge of panic as your eyes scanned his body. His leg was shredded, and you could see bits of shattered bone sticking straight through his skin. The rest of his body was shaking, and his breaths came in shallow, labored gasps.

"Are you alright?" you asked frantically, but he didn't respond.

You forced yourself to pause, to calm down. Panicking wouldn't help right now. Once you focused your mind, you were overcome with the inexplicable urge to touch him, to comfort him. It didn't seem like the best idea, as wounded animals were known to lash out, even at those who were only trying to help them. However, some part of you knew, deep down, that Levi wouldn't harm you. So, tentatively, you reached out and placed a hand on his side. When he didn't snap or growl, you allowed your hand to rest on him in what you hoped was a comforting manner.

Instantly, his breaths came a little easier, and his shaking subsided slightly. You didn't know why your touch worked so well in soothing him, but it did.