Chapter 11: (F/n)

(C/n) remained scarce while Levi stayed with you. At first, you thought it was due to her fear of dogs, which included werewolves, even though they were technically two different species. However, as time went on, you got the feeling that (c/n) didn't want to be around while you and Levi were bonding.

Speaking of, you two actually got to know each other quite well throughout the week that he lived with you. It was surprising, considering the innate differences between werewolves and witches, but you could easily find common ground. Your shared sarcasm and wit made for a good amount of snappy, playful conversations. You both admired the natural world, which led to a lot of forest walks and stargazing. You knew one another's needs without having to voice them, and each of your instinctive responses were exactly what the other required. What differences you had complimented each other perfectly.

And of course, there was the innate...attraction...between you.

It was typical of werewolves to...er, consummate the bond at the first opportunity. They didn't see a point in waiting once they had found their perfect match, and animal instincts encouraged them to claim what was theirs. Witches, on the other hand, tended to take things slower – more akin to the pace of a human relationship. Of course, you were sure that Levi was the one for you, but all the same, you would feel more comfortable spending a little time with him before getting to...that.

Levi understood, and he respected whatever boundaries you saw fit to set, never pressuring you for more than you were ready to give. Yet, even though you weren't comfortable going all the way, you were still filled with an instinctual need to be close to him. During the day, you exchanged loving kisses and cuddles. At night, you two slept in the same bed, innocently wrapped in each other's arms. You loved when Levi held you like that, because it made you feel protected and safe, as if nothing bad could ever happen.

There was something else, too. After you lay down together, before you fell asleep, Levi would pull you against his chest, his muscular body wrapping around you from behind. He would nuzzle into your hair, then your neck, always taking his time, thoroughly intoxicating himself with your scent. Then his lips would gently meet your nape, bestowing kisses that had you tingling all the way down to your core, before caressing your throat with his tongue, then his teeth.

However, he never bit hard enough to break the skin. That was for later, he told you, when you did him the honor of letting him claim you completely. You would then carry that mark forever, the power of the mating bond imprinting it upon your skin even after the wound had healed, showing that you belonged to him and him alone.

While he kissed you, his fingers would lightly roam your body. They never touched anything they shouldn't – Levi kept his word. He only wanted to learn what he was dealing with, to savor your perfect beauty and marvel at the fact that such a gorgeous creature was meant for him.

You enjoyed the attention, of course, though it was rather strange behavior in your mind. However, when you thought about it, it wasn't so strange at all. Werewolves' physical senses were extremely heightened beyond those of a human or a witch. They experienced everything in such a unique, detailed way. Using those senses, savoring them when they had the chance, was as instinctual to them as eating or sleeping or procreating. It was important for them to slow down and take things in.

Because Levi loved you, he longed to sense you in every way he could. He wanted to stop time, to inhale your scent, to feel every line and curve of your body, to taste your skin, to hear your heartbeat and the gentle sound of your voice. He wanted to memorize you, appreciate you, to the fullest extent that he was able.

He explored you so thoroughly that, even with your clothes on, you felt completely exposed. Yet, you didn't mind. You had never felt safer or more relaxed than you did in his arms. On top of that, it made you feel special – to be the object of instincts so raw and savagely beautiful. It was romance in its most primal form. And it was utterly breathtaking.

------------------------------------------

You wished the two of you could have stayed like this forever – apart from the world, seemingly suspended in time. However, all good things must come to an end. A week after Levi saved your life, his leg was back to normal, just as he said it would be.

"Well, it looks like you're all better," you stated as you knelt in front of Levi, who was sitting on the edge of your bed so you could examine his leg. You were glad that he was healed, of course, but at the same time, a sinking feeling filled your stomach, because you knew what would have to come next.

You rose to your feet, then sat next to him on the bed. Levi's silence told you that he also knew what was coming. And as much as he dreaded it, he had to fulfill his duty. He had to ensure that the pack was safe, one last time.

"You could stay longer, you know," you murmured, even though it was pointless. "You could stay as long as you want."

Levi's eyes met yours with a sad sort of sincerity. "You know I never want to leave you," he replied. "But I have to return to the pack. The Rogues could attack any day. They'll need me to fight, even if I'm not..." He didn't finish the sentence, and instead, he reached out and took your hand, trying to comfort you and him both. "It's only for a little while. I'll come back when I'm done."

"Will they...do anything to you?" you asked hesitantly, your brow creased with worry. "I mean, because you're bonded to a witch..."

"I won't be Beta anymore," he stated, a hint of grief in his voice. He really had cherished his position in the hierarchy, feeling like he was truly making a difference for those who needed his protection. "But they won't hurt me, if that's what you're thinking."

You wrapped him in a hug, understanding how much he was hurting, even if he hid it well. "I'm sorry," you whispered. You felt terrible that he had to lose something he loved so much, because of you.

He shook his head. "You're more important to me, (f/n). I'll be fine." After a moment, he added, "What about you? Will the other witches react badly?"

"No, no, they won't have a problem with it," you assured him. "The coven will probably want to meet you, actually. Maybe even throw us a party."

Despite their prejudices, witches were actually quite open-minded when it came to love. In their view, true love was sacred – the most powerful and revered form of magic. If a witch formed that bond with someone, their union would be met with acceptance and celebration by witches everywhere. Thus, you knew your coven would welcome Levi with open arms.

Levi hummed a laugh, though it was lifeless and sad. "That's nice of them."

Feeling your heart sink, you hugged him tighter. You wished that his pack could just accept him, that he didn't have to choose between giving up the role he loved or being bred like a prize horse. "I really am sorry, Levi. I don't want you to suffer because of me."

Levi's brow furrowed. "(F/n), I'm happy because of you. Before we met...I was so alone, (f/n). I had no family, and I thought I never would. Even if I had eventually claimed a female to breed with, she still never would have understood me, not like you do. You've given me the greatest gift a wolf can ever receive. Thank you."

His tender words warmed your heart. You smiled softly back at him, at a loss for what you could say to something like that. Levi had spent his whole adult life waiting for you, missing you, alone. The fact that you meant so much to him, that he treasured you more than his coveted position as Beta – it left you breathless.

Levi gazed at you a moment more, that raw sincerity still clear in his eyes. He seemed to be contemplating something, and at last, he reached a decision. You watched with growing curiosity and confusion as he knelt in front of you. The words he spoke next left you in absolute shock.

"(F/n), I want you to mark me."