Chapter 14: (F/n)

You leaned against your windowsill, staring at the sky as twilight turned into true night.

"(F/n)?" your familiar murmured, placing a comforting paw on your leg. Then, to your surprise, she added, "I'm sure that Levi will be okay."

"I thought you didn't like werewolves?" you questioned, dragging your eyes away from the sky to look down at her.

"I don't," she affirmed quietly. "But that one is important to you, and...well, he did save your life, so I guess he's not completely terrible."

Normally, you would have chuckled at such an admission, but not now. With a sigh, you stood up and murmured, "I'm going after him."

"You can't!" (c/n) cried, padding along beside you as you strode to the broom cupboard. "You heard what Levi said – it will be an all-out battle."

"All the more reason," you stated, fastening your cloak around your neck.

"But don't you remember what happened the last time you faced Rogues?" she whined. "They nearly killed you."

(C/n) hissed and jumped back when you snapped your fingers, creating a spurt of fire that was just enough to be intimidating. "They nearly killed me because I was unconscious," you reminded her sharply. "If you recall, I handled them quite well after I woke up."

Your familiar merely stared at you with wide, worried eyes.

You sighed, then knelt to the floor in front of her. "It's like you said," you continued softly. "Levi is important to me. And that's why I can't just sit here while he's fighting for his life, and for the pack that he loves. I have to help."

(C/n)'s brow furrowed. Her slitted eyes searched yours for a moment, and then she murmured, "Okay. Just...please, please be careful. I don't know what I would do if I lost my witch."

You smiled softly. "Don't worry. I promise I'll come back. And when I do, I'll give you a whole bowl full of treats."

The cat's ears perked up, but it was forced. She didn't have it in her to be excited, not now. She was too concerned for you.

With one last goodbye, you set off into the night.

------------------------------------------

Rain began to fall as you neared the town – a light downpour that made it annoyingly difficult to see. However, you soon learned that you didn't need to see in order to discover where the battle was raging. The cacophony of growls, yelps, and howls was enough.

You thought it would be unwise to land in that mess, so you flew to the edge of town, where all seemed quiet. You muttered a spell under your breath, one that allowed you to borrow (c/n)'s vision, and soon, the darkened buildings and trees became clear as day to you.

You tucked your broom into an alley, deciding that you would need both hands to fight. You reasoned that Levi would probably be where the fighting was thickest, so that's where you would go. However, you froze in your tracks when you saw two werewolves walking in your direction.

Actually, "lurking" would be a better word. They stuck to the shadows, constantly glancing around, as if they weren't supposed to be here. As if this wasn't their home, but an enemy's.

Rogues.

You ducked back into the alley, pressing up against a dumpster to hide your scent. Cautiously, you peeked out, waiting on bated breath as the wolves drew closer to your position.

They passed without seeing you, continuing toward some unknown goal. An instant later, the wind picked up, carrying bits of their hushed conversation to your human ears.