Chapter 13: Levi

When he reached the town, Levi went straight to Erwin's mansion. He kept to the forest, not wanting to deal with the whispers and stares from the pack that were sure to come after his week-long absence. However, when he arrived, he did not immediately enter through the back door, as he had always done. Instead, he went around to the front door and knocked, and he waited for Erwin to let him in – if he let him in.

Levi wasn't kept waiting for long. Less than a minute later, Erwin opened the door, his bright blue eyes unreadable. "Since when do you knock?" he muttered.

Levi's gaze fell. "I wasn't sure if I was still welcome," he replied quietly.

"Levi, you'll always be welcome here," Erwin assured him, that unreadable expression morphing into something softer. He stepped aside, opening the door wider. "Please, come in."

At the words, Levi felt a crushing sense of relief. He didn't dare to expect that things would go back to normal, but at least he hadn't lost his friend. Slowly, he walked into the house, too stunned to speak.

"So, I take it you've healed then?" Erwin asked.

Levi nodded, unsure of what to say, of how to explain.

Erwin sighed, then opened his mouth again, readying to speak...

Levi was hit by the overwhelming scent a second before another body crashed into him, wrapping him in a tight hug. "LEEEEEVI!" Hanji screamed into his sensitive ear. "You're alive! We were all so worried about you!"

Out of habit, Levi bristled at the overexuberant greeting, as well as Hanji's clear lack of personal hygiene. However, after a moment, he realized that he didn't mind so much. It was nice to know that he was still wanted here, that at least one member of the pack still cared about him. Even though he probably smelled like a witch.

"Hanji," Erwin said calmly, "could you please go find Mike? Now that Levi has returned, we have some things to talk about."

"Oh, sure," Hanji muttered, finally releasing Levi from her bone-crushing hug. But before she left, she gave him one more smile and chimed, "I'm really glad you're back, Shorty."

As Hanji walked out the door, Erwin gestured for Levi to follow him to his study. Once there, he took a seat, indicating that Levi should do the same.

"So, tell me," Erwin murmured, looking earnestly at Levi. "Why would you think that you weren't welcome here?"

Levi couldn't meet the Alpha's eyes. "When you didn't respond to (f/n)'s letter...when you didn't give me orders one way or the other...I thought that maybe you didn't want to see me anymore...that you were angry because I accepted the mating bond."

"Levi, I'm not angry," Erwin stated. "I didn't respond because I wanted you to rest and heal, instead of worrying about us. But I apologize if my lack of communication caused you any grief. That certainly wasn't my intention."

Levi's gaze hesitantly flicked up to Erwin's.

The Alpha smiled. "Like I said, you're always welcome here, Levi. This pack is your family."

Family.

Levi steeled himself. "Even if I'm mated to a witch?" he muttered quietly.

Erwin's comforting expression turned serious. "Well, we do have to talk about that. As the pack Alpha, I can't say that I'm happy with the position you've put me in. We have to get through this mess with the Rogues first, so for the time being, you will remain as the Beta. Afterwards, though, I have some rather difficult decisions to make."

Levi nodded, his throat becoming too tight to allow him to speak. He had known this was coming, but that knowledge didn't make things any easier. He couldn't fulfill his duty...could no longer be Beta...