30. breakfast

liz's pov

"Liz," Narcissa says one morning. "I've noticed you've been spending a lot of time outside the manor recently."

It's October 8th. Harry and I have been together for around 3 weeks now, and Narcissa's been a bit nosy recently. This is about the tenth time this week she's asked me about my whereabouts.

"I have, yeah. I've got a job now, and friends," I respond.

Narcissa studies me for a moment. "I know, I know. It's great, isn't it?"

I nod slowly. "Mhm."

"Lovely. Well, I want to talk to you about the plans, you know?"

"Plans for what?" I ask, sipping on some orange juice.

"The wedding, of course."

I involuntarily choke on my juice. Did he not tell her? When Draco finally finishes getting ready and comes down...

"Are you alright?" Narcissa narrows her eyes at me.

I cough. "I'm fine."

I see her bit down hard on her slice of buttered toast. "Liz, I've got a question for you."

I look up from my plate, confused. "Ask away."

"Are you cheating on my son?"

This time I choke on my toast. I start hacking, and by the time I swallow and finish coughing, Narcissa is looking at me with such malice in her eyes I'm afraid the table will burst into flames.

"No," I manage to whisper.

At that moment, the door swings open and Draco comes to sit down next to me. Talk about the right timing. He moves to kiss the top of my head, but I spin, stand up, and grab his arm.

"No. Sit down, we're gonna talk," I seethe, and Draco swallows hard. He lowers himself down into the chair next to me and I let go of his arm.

"Your mother," I start, "Just asked me if I was cheating on you."

Draco's eyes widen and he looks from me to Narcissa. "Liz..."

"No! Don't 'Liz' me! You said you told her!"

"Told me what?" I look over at Narcissa. She looks conflicted, and all of a sudden I feel bad for her. She was so happy for the two of us when we got engaged, and now... she'll be gutted.

I sigh. "Draco was supposed to tell you, but..." I trail off.

"She broke up with me," Draco finishes.

My mouth falls open in shock. "Don't you dare try to pin this on me!"

"But it was!" He's raised his voice, so his words echo through the room.

I hear a fork clatter; it's Narcissa's. She stares at the two of us, shocked.

"What happened?" she whispers.

"She left me."

"Okay, but why?" Narcissa turns towards me with pleading eyes, begging for it to not be true.

"I- I found someone."

I hear an intake of breath. "The one?" she asks. "Like your parents?"

I nod silently and she takes another deep breath. "Your mother and I were good friends before she died. She told me about her and Eric; it sounded like something out of a fairy tale. Finding your soulmate... it sounds like a dream. I wish my marriage was like theirs sometimes." She pauses once again. "I'm happy for you. You deserve it. I know you've seen me as a mother of sorts after Lily died, and... well, if it's not Draco you marry, I'm happy to know you're marrying the one for you."

I'm stunned. That's not what I was expecting at all; I expected Narcissa to yell at me and kick me out, not to talk about my parents and be happy for me.

"Wow," I breathe out. "Thank you."

She sends me a tight smile before continuing. "So, who is he? When will we meet him?"

This time I choke on an apple slice.

"Are you sure you're alright, sweetheart? That's the third time today you've choked on something, do you need to see a Healer?" Narcissa asks.

"No, no, I'm okay."

"Well then? Who is he?"

Draco smirks. "I don't think she wants to tell us."

I glare at him. "You'll find out eventually."

"Are you dating yet?" Narcissa asks, interested.

"Could we not talk about my ex-fiance's new boyfriend?" Draco growls.

She glares at him. "Fine. Since you're both here, please don't make plans for tomorrow. "

"Friday?" I ask, and Narcissa nods. "I can't, I already have plans."

She cocks her head. "Well, I need you here."

"Why?"

"I've invited my sister over for dinner."

This time I don't choke on anything, but I would've if I'd had food in my mouth.

Draco looks confused. "Mother, Aunt Bella's dead," he says. I pretend to look interested in Narcissa's answer even though I'm praying she doesn't mean who I hope she does.

"My other sister, Andromeda," she says.

"You have another sister?" Draco asks, confused.

"Yes, I do. I haven't seen her in over twenty years, though. Mum disowned her for marrying that Muggleborn."

"Ted Tonks," I murmur, and Narcissa turns towards me.

"Yes, him. Last I heard he died, no?"

I purse my lips. "Andromeda lost her husband and only daughter in the war."

"I heard she takes care of her grandson, her daughter married that werewolf, didn't she?"

"Mmhm," I whisper.

"Harry Potter's his godfather, no?"

I nod slowly.

"Well, that's why I need you here. I haven't seen my sister in so long, and you saved her daughter so many times, so it'll be less awkward if you come."

"I can't, I've got plans," I say. "And you can't use me like that, to look good in front of your sister. I saved Tonks because I wanted to, not for any other reason. I don't want you to show me off to flaunt in front of your sister." I also didn't want Andromeda to go tell Harry I still lived with the Malfoys.

"You live in my house, so you're coming, whether you like it or not," Narcissa says.

"You're not my mother."

"Liz..." she warns. "What plans do you have, anyway?"

I was actually going to have dinner with Harry and Teddy while Andromeda went out for- oh. She asked Harry to watch Teddy so she could come here. "I'm seeing my friends from work," I lie.

"Cancel, then," she pleads, her voice soft. "Please."

I really didn't want to cancel on Harry, but I knew Narcissa wouldn't give up easily. I give her a sympathetic smile.

"I'll see what I can do."