47. sticks up somewhere

The first day back at work is usually bad. But the second day is absolute hell.

Katie and I had sat with Draco yesterday at lunch and, for obvious reasons, Ron hadn't taken it well. At all. The whole morning, he's been glaring at us from across the room, only stopping when Harry asked him to quit it.

"How are you friends with such an asshole?" he asks as we walk to the break room to get lunch.

"I told you, he's a family friend," I grumble. "And he's changed. You should stop holding whatever grudge you have against him and give him a chance."

Ron snorts. "A chance? That git got a chance when they let him out of Azkaban! And now they want to bring him here?!"

I spin and glare at Ron. Harry grabs my arm instinctively and shoots me a warning look. "I don't care about his past," I say.

"Yeah, plus he's kinda hot," I hear Katie mumble under her breath. I almost stop in my tracks.

"You think he's-" my mouth drops open. Harry's chuckling from beside me. "Katie, you have a boyfriend."

"I'm allowed to look around!" she argues. "And it's true. Now that he's gotten rid of that stick up his ass, he's pretty fun to talk to."

"Malfoy getting rid of the stick up his ass would be a miracle," Ron huffs.

"Give him a chance, then, won't you?" I say, cocking my head at him.

He snorts. "I don't think so."

"Fine. Then you can find a different place to eat for lunch cause I'm bringing him to our office."

Ron's mouth falls open in shock. "You wouldn't."

"Try me." The four of us turn into the break room and are assaulted by the intoxicating aroma of Mexican food. I spot Draco in the corner, standing alone with a full plate. "Harry," I start, "Can you go get me a burrito?"

"Yeah. The usual?"

I send him a quick smile. In private, it would be a kiss, but that's not something you can do in a room full of Auror trainees and your ex-fiance. "You know me so well," I reply, and turn towards Draco, who's still standing alone. If I look closely, I can see the slight fear and uneasiness etched on his face. He spots me as I stride over and his face immediately brightens.

"How's hell?" I ask once he's in earshot.

"I've only been called a death-eater three times today, I think," he sighs. "Better than yesterday."

"Way better. And don't worry, it'll stop."

"How do you know?"

"I don't. But you're having lunch with us in the office today."

His eyes widen. "No thanks," he mutters. "I don't want to eat with Saint Potter and his pet weasel."

"I didn't ask. You're coming."

"Sure I am," he snorts.

"I'm extending an olive branch. I suggest you take it."

Draco groans. "Only if they promise to not be assholes."

I smirk. "They said the exact same thing about you."

After some pushing and prodding, I'm able to drag Draco down the long Ministry hallways to the office. He comes to a stop at the tall oak doors.

"Is Katie in there? At least?" he whispers.

"Yes, now go," I reply, pushing him hard. I open the door and am surprised to find that he walks in behind me.