11. code ax

Katie, Harry, Ron, and I are all having tactics instruction. The instructor is having us look at blueprints of different buildings and come up with the fastest way of escape in different scenarios. We have to formulate escape plans that don't require magic, in case we lose or don't have our wands on us. I find this pretty pointless since I can perform wandless magic, but I understand the point of the lesson; we need to be prepared for all sorts of situations.

"Liz, would you like to share your plan with the group?" the instructor asks.

"Yeah, sure," I say, getting up and holding up my blueprint for everyone to see. Pointing to the different parts, I start explaining my plan. "As you can see, in this building, the stairs are located on the north side, so if you're trapped in the middle room you can kick open the door or the window to get down that stairs. You'd have to go through doors A, B, and C, then down three flights of stairs to the lobby. The doors here are different, so you should break the glass slit in the door and reach around the shards to open the door from the other side."

The instructor claps. "Very good! Now, who wants to go next?"

No one has volunteered because they all noticed the silvery-blue lynx come in through the wall. A messenger Patronus. I hear some of the other trainees gasp; Patronus's are only used in urgency. The lynx turned towards me and started speaking.

"Smith. My office, now. Code ax."

I immediately recognize Kingsley's voice. I replay his words through my head. While the others stare at me, I manage to choke out a sentence.

"Can I go?" I ask the instructor.

"Yes, quickly now," he tells me. There's a weird

Ignoring the confused glances I'm getting, I run straight out of the room and to the floo. I grab some powder and throw it into the flames.

"Office of the Minister for Magic," I say.

I run through the flames and am transported into Kingsley's office. He's pacing the floor, looking grim.

"Oh, Liz, thank you for coming so fast."

"What happened? You said code ax, what's code ax?"

"Yaxley. They've tracked him down and they've finally managed to pinpoint a location."

"Where'd they find him?" I question.

"Smith Manor."

"How is that even possible? How could he get into my house?!"

"That is not our main focus right now. Right now, we need you to lure him out. He has information about the whereabouts of other Death Eaters that we need; that's why I called you. No one knows about your situation besides me and whoever else you've told, so you're our greatest asset. He still thinks you're on his side."

"So that's the mission? Help you capture a death eater?"

"Yes. We need this done as soon as possible. You should be able to catch him on the premises."

"Right. So, how is this going to work?"

"I'm sending in disillusioned agents to surround the house. I need you to floo in and take him out any way you can."

"Now?"

"If not now, then when?"

"Right. Let me just..." I take out my wand and transfigure my auror robes into something more suitable. I emerge wearing a plain blue top and a pair of flowy black pants.

"Before you go," Kingsley starts, "Be sure to release red sparks if you need assistance. The teams outside will be ready to come in and help you at a moment's notice."

"Good luck," he tells me.

I nod and walk through the flames to Smith Manor.