06 | on my mind

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 6

I've always thought of the mind as a place in its own right

One that you can retreat to whenever everything else gets a little too much, like I did whenever I found it in myself to put that bloody journal down, but also one with the potential of trapping you.

Today was one of the latter, and my mind just wasn't on my side.

My thoughts were solely focused around one thing, regardless of how much I tried to distract myself.

And I was. Trying to distract myself, that is.

Bouncing a ball on the asphalt in time with my heavy pants, relishing in the feeling of blood pumping through me.

There was a beautiful rush that came with exercising, and it was part of the reason that I had stuck with basketball for so long.

I extended my arm towards the net, releasing the ball and letting out a groan when I missed.

What the hell?

Even my game was off, the basket taunting me by letting my shots touch its rim before returning the ball back to me aggressively.

Christ. I hadn't been playing or acting like I usually did, and I didn't want to have to admit to myself why that was.

I was distracted.

Isn't that the understatement of the century?

I was far more than distracted. Distractions passed after a while, forgotten when you regained your focus or found something more interesting.

This wasn't like that.

There wasn't anything that my brain was more interested in, and my focus had been thrown to the wind along with that shot.

So I let it do what it had been wanting to do for the past three days, succumbing to thoughts of the mysterious girl who had left more of an impression of me in the seconds I saw her than some of the people I had known my whole life.

Wild curly hair that I wanted to feel my fingers knotted in, sunkissed brown skin that contrasted the cold colours she had been wearing and an aloofness that intrigued me.

I couldn't stop thinking about her.

It was strange for me to be so drawn to someone, especially considering the fact that we hadn't exchanged so much as a sentence, and probably never would.

But I was.

Completely fascinated, without needing to have heard her utter a single word.

The absurdity of that had me bouncing the ball against the ground a little harder, wondering when it was exactly that I had fully lost the plot.