12 | a distraction

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 12

"Hey guys, I need your help

"Hey guys, I need your help." I texted the groupchat made up of me, Lucy, Danny and Gabriel that had been formed a few days ago.

"Sure, what with?" Lucy replied instantly, her generosity and constant willingness to help on full display.

"If Lucy's down then I'm down." Danny messaged moments later, earning a soft laugh from me.

He really couldn't have been any more obsessed with her.

Gabriel clearly agreed with me, typing "Bro, you're so whipped," about 5 minutes after Danny's text.

"But I'd be happy to help, gorgeous." He added in response to my first message.

"That's rich coming from you, gorgeous." Danny said in a text addressed to Gabriel, mocking him for his earlier claim.

"Are any of you busy right now?" I typed. "Because I think this would be easier to explain in person."

After they confirmed that they were free and okay with coming over, I texted my address to the three members of the chat.

A soft pounding of the door alerted me to somebody's arrival, most likely Lucy's since she didn't live particularly far away.

With this thought in my head I went to open the door, paying no mind to what I was wearing.

I found that casual clothing was the best for painting, so on days like today when I had been in front of a canvas, I just wore shorts and an old t-shirt about 3 sizes too big for me.

A shadow was cast over me as I craned my neck to look at the man crouching to fit into my entry way.

Gabriel stepped into light, revealing the eyes that I could've recognised from anywhere and a wide grin.

I watched curiously as his smile slowly faded and his throat moved with a gulp, his gaze trailing down my attire.

Clearing his throat and shaking his head almost imperceptibly, he moved his eyes back up to my face.

"Candyfloss." He greeted, showcasing his dimples.

"Uh... hey." I replied, distracted by the way they hollowed into his cheeks perfectly.

"You gonna let me in?" He questioned with amusement in his voice, drawing my attention to the fact that I had been blocking him from entering with my body, the distance between us minimal.

I was so close that I had finally figured out what it was that he smelt like. Both vanilla and leather. Unusual, but it somehow fit him to a T.

I wasn't supposed to be noticing these things.

"Oh. Yeah. Sorry." I said with widened eyes, moving aside to avoid him brushing against me.

I didn't trust myself not to react if he did.