19 | a sweet treat

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 19

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  CHAPTER 19

"Uh... Hey, I'm Drew." A deep voice announced from somewhere behind me.

I had been cleaning the inside of a cupboard with the kind of attention to detail that meant I had practically crawled into it, and up until then assumed that I was the only person behind the counter.

Hence why I startled when I heard the voice, hitting my head on one of the shelves and crying out in pain internally.

I spun around to face our most recent recruit, giving him what I thought was a smile but could have just as easily been a wince. "Hi Drew, I'm Cora. Nice to meet you."

With a chiseled face, sandy blonde hair and obvious good looks, the new guy looked as if he would be more at home in a surfing magazine than a cafe.

He offered me a boyish grin that forced his eyes to crinkle at the corners, shoving his hands into the deep pockets of his jeans.

"Where do I start?" He asked, gaze travelling around the room. Good, he was eager. That would make my life much easier.

"I'll show you how to work the register." I said, walking him over to it and keying in a random amount so that he could see how to give change.

He nodded and watched my every move with rapt attention, not settling until he knew everything from the abbreviations we used for orders, to how much water each hanging plant required on the daily.

"I think that was pretty good for a first shift." I commented, surprised at how much he had managed to learn in such a short space of time.

He only arrived about an hour ago but we had spent it so efficiently that it seemed like far more.

I moved my eyes from the counter onto his face to find that his were already on me, twinkling with what I assumed was excitement about the job.

His mouth stretched to accommodate a cheeky grin. "I already know I'm going to be the best server this cafe's ever seen."

I had to laugh then, something about the determination with which he said it. "Don't hold your breath. That spot's already taken by me."

I turned away from him and resumed with my own tasks, leaving him to fend for himself so I could see how much information he had actually absorbed.

The next three hours sped past and he proved to me that he was extremely capable, remembering everything I told him and using initiative to guess at the rest.

He was also surprisingly funny, reminding me of Lucy in the way that he could take the most ordinary of things and make me laugh with it.