09 | second chance

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 9

It was 3am and I was still wide awake

Sleep had practically been a foreign concept to me for the last 10 years, so I wasn't even bothering to try.

I slid to the edge of my bed, feet touching the braided carpet, and raked a hand through my already messy hair.

My bedroom was a wash of dark colours; the inky black of the desk tucked into the corner, and the grey of the lamp that sat atop my nightstand.

My eyes travelled around it, pausing on the trophies that littered my shelves and the blank spaces on the tall walls.

I still needed to find something to fill those gaps and bring life to the room.

My gaze settled on the scuffed trainers that I had kicked off and abandoned at the foot of my bed in a hurry to pick up where I left off in my book.

A love of reading was the only thing that I shared with the childhood version of myself, the boy that I would do anything to forget.

My brain flashed with the image of a face, chubby and freckled, with fat tears rolling down.

I can't let my thoughts go there.

Deciding to run until my heavy mind lightened, I freed myself from the rumpled bedsheets and pulled those trainers on along with a pair of joggers.

Adrenaline and cold air replaced my blood, pumping through me as my feet pounded heavily across the ground.

Figures and buildings blurred as I continued forwards.

Faster.

My breath became short bursts and a thin layer of sweat covered the nape of my neck.

My mind, previously racing at a speed quicker than my feet, had calmed down and untangled the mess of thoughts and memories.

I had reached the state of clarity that only running could bring.

My legs slowed as I approached my part of the university halls.

Quietly opening the door to Room 38, the apartment that neighboured Danny and Jake's, I exhaled with contentment.

I found sleep for the first time in a long time, surrendering to dreams of soft, curly hair and sweet dimpled cheeks.

- - - -