25 | finally ready

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
CHAPTER 25

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄CHAPTER 25

"That'll be £6.70 please." The taxi driver said. Or at least that's what I thought he said — it was difficult to tell with the accent coating his voice.

Amazing. I'd found another thing to love about Cornwall already. The prices were actually reasonable.

Gabe reached into his pockets and took out a bunch of coins, jingling them in his palms as he passed them over. "Thanks for the ride."

"Course. You looked like you needed it." The taxi driver replied.

I noticed that they both spoke to each other wearing the same wide grin.

It felt like they were old friends instead of complete strangers, but I guessed that was just a side effect of living in such a small town.

You were automatically friends with everybody, whether you knew it or not.

We stepped out of the taxi together, armed with our luggage and excited smiles.

My eyes left Gabriel's face to get a proper look at the house we were standing in front of.

Wow.

Even at night, the beauty of the Madden household was impossible not to notice.

Shadows were cast over the cobbled walls, but didn't even touch the large windows that offered a glimpse inside of the house.

The size could've made it intimidating, but something about the shrubbery that surrounded it stopped it from looking like anything but a well loved family home.

The vines that draped themselves over the brickwork made it hard for us to find the doorbell but we persevered, with Gabriel pressing it once and then coming to wait alongside me.

Right before the door opened he turned to whisper softly in my ear, somehow knowing that I'd need the reassurance. "She's going to love you."

The creak of wood was the only thing I heard before a woman threw herself at Gabriel, a blur of shrieking, open arms and laughter.

She pulled away from him after an understandably long hug, allowing me to get my first look at her face.

The first thing I noticed was the striking resemblance she bore to the person standing next to her, from her pale skin to the single dimple I could see hollowing into her cheek.