ONE: PROLOGUE

1952

                                      1952

"Do my name next, Lydia!" Said Faye, jumping up and down.

"Okay, okay." She sighed, "Let's play then name game... Faye! Faye Faye Bo-Bay Banana-Fanna Fo-Faye, Fe-Fi-Fo May.... Faye!"

"How'd you learn that?!" One of the boys questioned.

"My older brother Joe taught me." She boasted. "He's in the fourth grade."

"Joe's so cute!" Faye swooned. "I'm going to marry him someday, you know."

"He's already married to Helen Manders, sorry. They shared a pudding cup at recess yesterday." Lydia said.

"That's not fair!" Faye whined.

"Can you do my name next?" A boy in glasses asked.

"No way, Teddy! You're weird!" She cringed, scrunching her button nose up, making her round freckles turn into crescent moons.

"Am not!" Teddy argued.

"Are too! You're dad is weird, so you're weird!" Lydia stated.

"My dad is cool!" He said.

"Well my dad fixes cars!" She said. "And even drives cars at the county drag races!"

"Frog-face!" He sputtered out, as he couldn't come up with anything cooler than what her dad did.

"Four eyes!" Lydia huffed, folding her arms and stomping away towards the swings.

•••
During free time, Lydia was building a house with toy blocks for her friend, Faye. Just as she was finishing it, it was kicked down by none other than Teddy.

"Hey! That was mean!" She pouted, her dirty blonde eyebrows knitting together.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry about recess today." He muttered.

"By knocking down my house?" Lydia asked.

"I'll help you rebuild it. And it wasn't built well anyway." Teddy said.

"It was too!" She argued.

"It needs a man's touch." He replied, sitting down next to her and building a base.

By the end of free time, Teddy and Lydia were best friends, and she even agreed to sing his song in the name game.

"What's you're name, anyway?" She asked.

"Teddy Duchamp. What's yours?"

"Lydia Pierce." She answered, shaking his hand.

"Okay, okay, do the song now!" He exclaimed.

"Let's play the name game... Teddy! Teddy Bo-Beddy Banana-Fanna Fo-Teddy, Fe-Fi-Fo Feddy, Teddy!"

•••
Word count: 361
•••

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••