THIRTEEN: TWO OF US

After covering Ray's body with a blanket, we decided an anonymous phone call would be best

After covering Ray's body with a blanket, we decided an anonymous phone call would be best. The police found him, and somehow, we still felt like heroes. Or, at least I did. On the walk back not a word escaped my mouth, or anyone else's for that matter.

Teddy and I's hands remained together as we walked. There was nothing to be said, though, sometimes I wish there was. At one point, I even fell purposely to see if Teddy would make a smart remark, but, he only helped me up.

The silence wasn't a comfortable one, but, it was somehow relaxing. Sometimes that's what you needed, time to think. Time to process all that had happened over the past few days.

We didn't bother with stopping, and even walked over night. We didn't want to waste time. What we all wanted was to get home. We hardly took breaks, that is, until I nearly fainted.

"Jesus, Lydia doesn't look so good." Vern observed, looking over at me.

"I'm fine, let's keep going." I said, and stumbled as I walked. I almost fell, luckily, Teddy caught me.

"Let's just sit down for a bit." Said Chris, "she's probably just tired. Her and Teddy were up pretty early this morning."

We nodded and sat in the ditch next to the train tracks. I picked dandelions, and put a few behind Teddy's ears. He was annoyed, but it got a laugh out of the boys when I started calling him Princess Theodora.

"What a pretty little girl." I giggled, as a train whooshed by us. "Looks like you missed your train dodge, Ted."

"Oh well." He shrugged.

•••
When we got back, the boys weren't little boys anymore, they were closer to men. And, as for myself, I had changed. I had grown up more and seen more of what the world was really about over the course of just two days. The town of Castle Rock seemed smaller as we looked at it. Was I a woman? Not yet. We're the boys men? Not yet.

We still all had growing up to do.

But, it seemed, due to the weekend we had, we'd be doing it faster than others.

"Well, see you in school." Vern said when we stood on the corner of were his house was, which was close to Teddy's and my own for that matter.

"See you in junior high." Said Chris, and Vern nodded before walking. He bent down, happily picking up a shiny metal object.

"Penny!" He exclaimed.

Unfortunately, that was one of the last times I heard Vern talk when we were still close. Though we were never as close as Teddy and I were, I still thought of him as a friend.

"I better walk you home before your dad puts you on the ten most wanted list." Said Teddy, looking over at me.

"That sounds more like something your mother would do, Ted. But, I'm ready to go home anyway." I smiled.

I don't know what came over me, but I let go of Teddy's hand and embraced both Chris and Gordie.

"You two are good kids." I smiled when I let them go, and ruffled their hair. I knew I wouldn't be seeing them as much anymore. "Chris, you'll be a good lawyer."

"A lawyer?" He questioned, his ocean colored eyes squinting.

"Yeah. A lawyer." I smiled, "and you, Gordie, will make a fine writer. Out selling all your books."

"Yeah, thanks." He replied softly. "And you'll be the top nurse."

"We'll see about that." I smiled, and took Teddy's hand.

•••
Teddy and I stood at my porch, hands still glued together. I knew I would be in trouble when I went inside. So, I looked at Teddy in the eye, smiling like an idiot. Being 'rebellious' really did make you feel cool.

"Bye, Teddy. You're walking me to school tomorrow, right?" I asked.

"Of course." He smiled.

I took a deep breath before leaning in and kissing Teddy. It lasted five seconds at the most before we pulled away. I smiled at he returned it.

"Well, it's not like you're going off to war. I'll see you tomorrow." I said, and walked inside.

I walked in, Connie and Eleanor in the kitchen, making lemonade. Big surprise. Dad sat at our round dining room table, reading a book. He looked over his glasses, sighing and standing up and walked towards me. I couldn't look him in the eye as he hovered over me. He took his thumb, lifting my chin, forcing me to look into his eyes. He kissed my forehead, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Hey kid." He smiled, "go up to your bedroom for the rest of the afternoon. It's hot out, if you're out there any longer, you could have a heat stroke.

I nodded, walking towards the upstairs steps before turning around.

"Thanks dad." I said.

I went upstairs, and it looked the same way it did when I left. The photos of Teddy I had, however, stood out more. I smiled at them, and looked at the one of mom holding Samuel. I walked to my desk, setting my bag down in my chair. On it there was a note.

Lydia,

Hey sis, I'm sorry I'm not gonna around anymore. I'll be seeing you sometime. I'll be around Castle Rock, but I can't stand to live with dad anymore. Again, I'm sorry.

- Joe

P. S. If you don't marry Duchamp, I'm suing the author of this thing.

I chuckled and tucked the note away. I plopped down on my bed and let out an exasperated sigh. I grabbed my radio, turning it on to the regular station.

Our guardian star lost all his glow

The day that I lost you

Stupid Fleetwoods.

•••
Word count: 966
•••

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••