EIGHT: FIELD OF FLOWERS

Soon, we were standing before the train track that went over a river

Soon, we were standing before the train track that went over a river. I wasn't afraid of heights, in fact, my favorite fair ride has always been the Ferris Wheel. But, a bridge one hundred feet in the air with a train coming our way scared the shit out of me.

The view, however, was beautiful. Lush Evergreens surrounded us like blankets, and reflected off the blue water. It was breathtaking, not a cloud was in the sky and it seemed no one besides the boys was in a fifty mile radius.

"When's the next train coming?" I asked, looking to Chris.

"We could walk the Route 136 Bridge, but that's five miles down the river." Chris said, ignoring my question.

"No shit, Chambers. Do you really wanna walk five miles down the river, and five miles back? 'Cause I sure don't." Teddy said.

"Teddy, if that train comes we're toast. We can't just dodge it." I reasoned.

"Then jump." He said.

"You say that as if it's an everyday thing. It's a hundred feet." I said.

"Yeah Teddy, it's a hundred feet." Gordie echoed.

"Fine then, I'm crossing the bridge with Lydia, and while you guys are dragging your candy-asses half way across the state and back, Lydia and I will be on the other side, relaxing with our thoughts." Teddy rambled.

"And what makes you think I'm walking across that death trap, Theodore?" I questioned, placing a hand on my hip.

"Because I ain't going across it on my own!" He exclaimed.

"You'll have to make me cross that bridge, because it's not happening." I said, folding my arms, then immediately uncrossing them because, well, they were looking.

"Oh yes you are." Teddy said, and before I knew it, I was effortlessly thrown over Teddy's right shoulder, and the boys were following, with Vern crawling and Gordie walking behind him.

"Put me down, Teddy!" I exclaimed, hitting his back.

"I will when we're halfway across the bridge, because then you can't go back." He replied, "so quit hitting my back before I jump off the side."

"You wouldn't dare." I hissed.

"Oh I would, watch." I could sense the smirk on his face, and he moved closer to the edge of the tracks, bringing the clear water into view.

"Teddy, stop it!" I cried, "it's so far!"

"Fine, fine." He laughed, moving back to the center. Finally, when we were halfway across, he set me down. "See, it's wasn't that hard, was it?"

I didn't reply, and spun around on my heel, walking away from him. He had no right just throwing me over his shoulder and waltzing across the bridge as if it was as simple as counting to three! I was pissed, and even folded my arms for the rest of the time. I didn't turn around to look at Teddy until I heard Gordie let out a cry.