NINE: JOE PIERCE

Joe's POV:

Joe's POV:

I was worried about Lydia, however, there was no one I could go to about it. I knew what her and the other kids were up to, and it left me with a sour taste in my mouth. However, kept my word and didn't say anything.

"How's things going with that Helen Manders chick?" Ace asked.

We were both at the nearby bar, shooting pool and having beers like we usually did on a Saturday. I managed to stay cool and collected throughout the whole thing. But, I could tell Ace knew something was up.

"It's not really going." I replied. "I got to second, almost third base with the chick, then she tells me she wants to wait 'till marriage."

"Man, that must've bit, huh?" Ace said, getting a ball into one of the holes.

"Yeah. Fucking tease." I huffed, putting out my cigarette in the ash tray and taking a sip from my beer. "Hey man, I've gotta tell you something."

"What?" Ace questioned, setting down his stick and walking over to me.

•••
I was so mad at myself for spilling the beans.

Now, Ace and Eyeball wanted to find the dead kid, and even worse, they wanted to leave tomorrow. The same time Lydia was supposed to find Ray with the boys.

Was I unsure about her doing it? Yes. But, she's got so depressed after losing Samuel and Mom, and with me being a dick to her subconsciously, she must've been hardly stable anymore. She needed to get out of the house, and get some sort of thrill. I felt bad, and tried to convince Ace not to do it.

"C'mon man, it's fool-proof. And, it might even getcha' some points with Heather." He smirked.

"It's Helen." I corrected.

"Same difference. I don't know why you're chickening out so much now, anyway. Those kids will leave once we show up without a problem." Ace shrugged.

"I dunno, Ace, Lydia and those other kids are pretty stubborn." I reasoned.

"Quit actin' like a pussy, Joe, if the cops ask some questions, we'll just tell 'em we're trying to swipe some fish outta the river, and that's it. I'm even bringing fishing gear so they don't suspect nothing." He explained.

I knew I wasn't going to win this argument, so I just nodded. When Ace wanted something, he wanted it. He wanted his picture in the paper, he wanted the radio interviews. But, the story would die down within a few months. It wouldn't be marked as history. It was Castle Rock for Christ's sakes.

"And if it don't get you some points with Helen, I noticed that Louise Stanton's been givin' you them doe eyes." Ace smirked. "She'll be on her knees calling you a hero."

I've had a thing for Louise Stanton all summer. She was gorgeous brunette with a curvy stature like Marilyn Monroe with brown eyes and darker skin. She worked as a life guard, and I've found myself going there more often lately. Ace knew when he brought Louise into the picture, I'd cave. He knew exactly what he was doing.

"Hey Louise." I smiled as I watched her come out of the girl's changing room at the local pool.

"Have you been waiting here for me, Joey?" She asked, her voice so soft and refined. She batted her dark eyelashes and looked up at me.

"Maybe I am." I smirked, putting out my cigarette and nipping at my bottom lip.

"What do you say about going out with me next Friday?" I asked, and watched as she blushed.

"I'd love to, Joey." She smiled, revealing perfect white teeth. "But, I'm afraid I have plans."

"Then cancel 'em, Lulu." I said, "do you like it when I call you that?" She giggled, and I knew my flirting was working.

"I can't cancel them." She sighed, her smile fading.

"Who are they with?" I asked.

"Otis Arlington." Louise answered, "he asked me first."

"You're breaking my heart." I pouted. "I'll tell you what, I'm gonna call you on Sunday, and try to get you to go out with me again."

"It's gonna be the same answer, Joey." She stated.

"We'll see about that, Lulu." I whispered. "N' besides, Lulu Pierce sounds better than Louise Arlington."

She giggled once again as I walked away, hopping in Ace's car as he sped out of the local pool's parking spot.

"So, how'd it go?" He asked over the song Stay by Maurice Williams playing on the radio.

"She said she's got plans with that meathead Otis Arlington." I huffed, lighting up another cigarette. "But, it's just a minor setback. Other than that, I'm in."

"Yeah, Otis Arlington's an ugly son of a bitch." Ace laughed. "He don't stand a chance."

•••
I sighed, looking at the picture of Lydia holding Sammy with the twins sitting next to her. I felt like she was judging me from the photo. The one of mom next to it seemed like it was giving me a look of disappointment, despite the smile that perfectly matched the one Lydia hardly wore anymore.

I heard the door open, and my eyes winded. He wasn't supposed to be back until tonight, at least, that's what the note said that he left for Connie and Eleanor. I cursed and quickly hid under my bed, and I heard his footsteps nearing my room.

"Who's in here?" I heard his voice demand, and I squinted my eyes shut, holding my breath. His boots walked directly passed me. Oh god, he could find my girly magazines.

Or worse, my new pack of Marlboros. He knew I smoked, but he'd take them from me with zero hesitations. But, I stayed put, not making a sound. However, I ran out of air, and let out a loud breath, which he most defiantly heard. He dropped to his knees, and looked at me. Our eyes met, and I gulped.

"Get out from under the bed, Joseph, or so help me Mary I'll drag you out myself." He seethed, and I nodded, rolling out from under my bed.

As soon as I stood up, he pushed me against the back wall, his hand firmly gripping my collar. He raised his other hand, gripping my jaw. His aging, piercing blue eyes locked with mine as he let out an angry huff.

"Where the hell is your sister, Joe?" He questioned, his grip tightening.

"I'm ain't telling you anything." I said, and regretted it as he sucker punched me in the eye. I looked back at him.

"Tell me where Lydia is, Joe." He demanded again, and I stayed quiet. He punched me again, and I felt my nose begin to bleed.

"Do the twins know anything?" He questioned.

"No. Leave them outta this. It's got nothing to do with them." I said. Once again, he threw another punch.

"I don't wanna do this all day, kid." He sighed.

"Then leave me the hell alone." I replied, breaking from his grip and grabbing my cigarettes and lighter. I turned around one more time, looking him in the eye.

"See you around, pops." I said, leaving my room and my house.

For good.

•••
Word count: 1203
•••

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••