prologue.

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐠𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐠𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬.

╚═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

1812

Her knuckles rapped on the green door and she hauled her bags tighter over her shoulder, wishing she could get a well-deserved rest after a long night's travel. Blue eyes brightened at the sound of approaching footsteps and she was faced with the Bridgerton matriarch herself.

"Good morning, Lady Bridgerton." She greeted the woman with a close-lipped smile and a curtsy. "I am Augusta Woodbury. I'm here as ─ "

"Oh, yes, yes!" The older woman interrupted her, a glint of excitement in her eyes as she had stepped aside to make space in order for Augusta to enter the household. "My daughters and I have been looking for a new governess for weeks now. They are very picky."

The door slammed shut and the servants of the household immediately grabbed ahold of Augusta's belongings to take upstairs to her room. Her eyes followed them ─ but as they did ─ as well as the three portraits of her children that were hung on the high and pristine ceilings of their home.

There was one of three boys, one of three girls, and one of a boy and a girl (presumably the youngest of her children). Augusta had to swallow her shock at how affluent this family was even with their prolific number. If a woman had eight children in her town, the family was sure to be in poverty.

A roar of footsteps came from above accompanied with squeals of excitement and bright smiles from four beautiful young ladies. They stopped in their tracks as their mother turned to them. "This is Miss Woodbury, your new governess. Do treat her with the utmost respect and kindness."

She introduced them from eldest to youngest. There was Daphne (who would be a debutante next season), Francesca, Eloise, and little Hyacinth. As soon as Lady Bridgerton stepped aside, pairs of hands ─ two pairs on each of her arm ─ quickly pulled her to a direction most likely to be their schoolroom. Augusta was glad she could still decipher their questions amidst their voices that seemed to be competing with one another.

"Can you teach me how to speak French, Miss Woodbury?" Hyacinth queried with Bambi eyes. It was almost possible to deny her of any request.

Augusta nodded. "Oui, Mademoiselle Hyacinth."

"What about needlework?" It was Daphne who had asked so tenderly. "I need a lady who is objective."

Before she could answer, Francesca stood in front of Augusta, halting everyone's movements altogether. "How good is your geography?"