thirteen.

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝

𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝.

╚═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

PRESENT DAY 

Dearest sister,

Alice has informed me of the recent events. She is not. . .elated with your reaction to her marriage and her family. I too am not elated with my two sisters quarrelling. I am most certain that you of all people is not celebrating our Alice's achievements. 

Alice wrote to me a year ago; she had asked for counsel on how to reveal everything to you. Gussie, she revealed the marriage to me first. I firmly warned her that I would swim across the ocean and shoot the bastard that ruined her innocence. Fortunately, Alice had made it clear that they had fallen in love first then decided to get married. She was so worried and horrified that she might have disappointed you. Henry tells me Alice has been sobbing every night since they had arrived in Mayfair.

Henry supports her passion for the arts; he paid for her art lessons and the money you sent was made into an investment of some sorts for an art project in the States. Once their daughter was born, all their care and attention and funds went into her.  They underwent an arduous path a few months into their marriage wherein Henry went bankrupt and Alice had just given birth yet they still kept their vows towards one another. 

Gussie, you are her still her sister; she still needs you. 

I encourage forgiveness between the two of you for I am tired of all this quarrelling. . .aren't you? 

Sincerely,
Albert 

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

When Augusta awoke, she could faintly feel the dried-up tears on her cheeks and Albert's letter in her hand.  She had fallen asleep sobbing silently last night, praying that the pain would end soon. As she slumped her way towards her bedroom, she wondered if she was the sole cause of the pain she felt ─ could she be her own remedy? 

Once she was dressed for the day, Augusta made her way downstairs for tea. The Bridgertons were visting the Balfour mansion where the Marquess and Marchioness of Donegall were currently residing. Alice and her husband would be leaving this afternoon; the visit may be her only chance at reconciliation and to truly listen to her sister. 

"Lady Bridgerton!" Augusta exclaimed as she reached the final steps of the grand staircase. In tow with Violet were Gregory and Hyacinth who were no doubt having a quarrell of their own. "Good morning. May I accompany you to the Balfour mansion this morning? This is what I am wearing so there is no need to wait on me."