What He Didn't See

Day 10 prompt: "I'm sorry, I didn't know."
Inspiration from tumblr post because that idea was great af: https://bit.ly/3rAa6ZP (by bitsandbobsofwriting's outline!)

Warnings: attempted sexual harassment, degrading comments, etc

"Snips! Rex! Are you both done yet?"

He heard a groan and a small sigh as the duo came out of their respective rooms; Rex was still adjusting his tie, obviously uncomfortable without his armor and Ahsoka was holding onto the wall, trying to adjust the heels that she was given.

Anakin had gone to the chancellor's office as he did once a week, and he was surprised to see that he was invited to a senatorial ball in celebration of the new planets they have retained for the Republic.

Flashback

"I insist, Anakin, take the ticket! Enjoy yourself! You deserve it after everything you have done."

Anakin wanted to take it, he really did, but it wasn't only him that help earned the victory.

"Chancellor, I appreciate the offer, but it wasn't only my efforts that helped; my padawan and captain included were probably the ones who did more than me. May I please invite the two of them along with me?"

Palpatine internally frowned at the flaw of his would-be-perfect plan but he sweetly grinned and nodded. If he wanted to have the Chosen One as his apprentice, he would have to be patient and sacrifice some of his efforts. He didn't want the togruta to be there; the annoying brat may just foil his scheme even more than she already had, but alas, it had to be done.

Skywalker smiled, laughing at the three tickets that were now in his hands. He bowed low to the chancellor.

"Thank you! I'll see you at the party!"

The door closed, and Palpatine dropped his facade, scowling at the paperwork in front of him.

"Yes, I shall."

End flashback

"Master, do we both have to go? I don't think anyone of us wants to," Ahsoka said, trying her best to convince her master to let her and Rex stay in the Resolute, disgustedly looking at a rather large pearl necklace hanging around her neck, replacing her golden diamond one she had gotten from her life-day. Rex silently agreed with his commander, standing stiffly at her side and trying his best not to just rip off the whole suit he was given and run back into his blacks.

"I promise it will be fun! C'mon, this will only happen about once in our lives! Please?"

Ahsoka closed her eyes and released a slow breath, and nodded. she exchanged a quick glance with the captain and he tilted his head in affirmation. Wherever she went, he would follow, and he knew the opposite would be done for him.

~

"And then I said to him well, I don't think this went according to plan now, did it? "

The senators that have bundled after the Hero With No Fear all roared in laughter at his antics, claps spreading throughout the audience. Ahsoka and Rex were dragged along with Anakin since they hadn't known many people (not like they wanted to anyway). Ahsoka couldn't find her friends like Riyo or Lux, and Rex had no clone troopers to talk to, his only friend being Ahsoka and Anakin. They were squeezed between two senators, each of them asking different questions about the war. Instead of drifting off and mingling as the general had insisted, the duo stuck together, watching each other's back even in a simple ball, just for the sake of each other. Ahsoka's hands itched to hold her lightsaber in comfort and Rex wished that he brought both of his blasters, but he had left it at the lodging the trio reserved, at Anakin's insistence to relax. The party went on for the rest of the night, the five-oh-first heroes talking to other people and discovering more about what the civilians of the Republic were like.