There's No Good in Goodbyes (But It's Better Than Nothing)

Day 15 prompt: "run, don't look back"

Warnings: post-order 66, canon-divergence, major character death

Ahsoka wrapped her arms as she stared up into the starry night, tears streaming down her face.

She had finished burying every single trooper she could find, in honor of her brothers. Rex's helmet was staked in the very front, and another wave of tears hit as she was thrown back into her memory, her head bowing over her knees in mourning.

She screamed into the empty night, the force wailing with her, the deaths of the Jedi tarnishing the light in empty darkness.

Flashback

Ahsoka and Rex ran through the empty ships, trying to find one that could fit both of them. There weren't any; Maul had taken the last one.

"Ahsoka, there!"

There was a small escape pod in the corner, working from the looks of it.

"Looks like the men forgot to blast this one too," Rex sighed, in relief. Then his blood ran cold as he saw it was only for one person. And he immediately knew who it was for. He stared at Ahsoka's back in a smile, determined to get her to safety, even if he sacrificed his own life. She might retaliate, but he would regret it if it was him, a clone, that stayed alive instead of a nat-born like his commander.

He would always put Ahsoka first, out of respect, out of training, and out of love.

"Then let's go! The soldiers are gonna wake up any minute and-"

Ahsoka turned to face him, and something akin to hope shone in her eyes. He hoped she kept that shine throughout the rest of her life.

"Run, and don't look back."

Before Ahsoka could process what he was saying, she was pushed into the escape pod, the door whooshing close as she landed on the floor. Her eyes widened in alarm and she scurried up to see her captain was still outside, firing on his own vode, stun bolts flying amidst the killing.

"Rex! Rex, what the fuck!"

The pod was preparing to take off and she tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge, trapping her inside. She was forced to helplessly watch, listening to the countdown, as Rex was slowly taken down, bolt by bolt. She cried out, banging against the glass panel, but nothing shattered under her grip. She looked around the small area for something to escape with, but there were only the essentials for living. It was too late anyway.

Her pod boosted off and she shouted, trying to get back, trying to find a way to help Rex. The last thing she saw before she left the docking bay was his smile and a blue bolt passing through his chest, acceptance etched on his face as he closed his eyes, his lifeless body falling to the ground.

She never got to say goodbye.

End flashback

short and not so sweet :D