You'll Find Something

Day 28 prompt + alternate prompt: "you have to let me go" + "I can't lose you too"

Warning: canon divergent; set in Post-Rebels/OT era, major character death

Time to kill Rex again-

It was a sunny day, just like every other day, ever since the fall of the Empire. There were still a few Imperial agents running around, but it wasn't Ahsoka's job to deal with it. She was, to say the least, retired. She had found Ezra, reunited with her friends, and here she was in the middle of nowhere, living with her last friend from the Clone Wars. Captain Rex of the dead five-oh-first and three-hundred-thirty second. And soon, he will be with them. The plate she was wiping clattered on the floor as she felt his force presence from the other room dim a bit too much for her liking. As she ran out of the kitchen, she found Rex on the floor, one hand holding the couch to help himself up, and one hand massaging his back, where the impact hit.

"You're supposed to stay there!"

She helped him up, maneuvering his legs so they hung off the sofa in a comfortable position. He didn't say anything, letting her help him, which was unusual, to say the least.

"'Soka...little'un...I think it's time," he coughed, finally telling her what he had been waiting to say for days. He knew he was Ahsoka's last comrade, the one who survived the longest, and he had tried his best to hold out so she wouldn't be lonely. But this time, he could feel death waiting at the edge of his mind, patiently waiting to collect him and let him march with his brothers in arms.

She froze. In her opinion, it was not his time. He was only forty-eight, but here he was in his ninety-six-year-old body. Unbidden tears sprang up to her eyes as she internally snarled. Curse the Kaminoans! Curse the war for taking his right to life! 

She ignored him, giving him a blanket and a glass of water, settling a pillow under his head. She turned to walk away, only for Rex to grab her wrist.

"Ahsoka."

She froze, and he set his hand down. She turned towards him, one tear falling onto the ground.

"One more night. Please?"

She held her breath as he slowly nodded and she made her way to the kitchen, bringing his and her lunch to the living room. They ate, both laughing and reminiscing in the happy memories they shared. That night, Ahsoka sobbed, her quiet cries heard from the bathroom, trying her best not to wake Rex. But he had walked there the best he could, and she curled up into his brotherly embrace for what could be the last time.

~

The next day...

"Ahsoka."

She knew that tone. Although it was low in a whisper, it was stern. It was when Rex was sure of his decision and there was no turning back, it was when he wouldn't refuse no as an answer, it was-

She stopped her negative train of thought. It was noon, another sunny and peaceful day, but not for her emotions, which was as chaotic as it could be. She whimpered, reality finally hitting her. She was going to help him die, and then...she would be alone. She would be all alone. Togrutas weren't supposed to be lonely; they were a sociable species, needing to live with other people to have good health, a good life overall. Although she had been by herself for about fifteen years, she had at least known that Rex was still alive. 

A hand gently her cheek and she leaned against it, eyes watering as they shut close. She pulled him into a hug, and he followed suit, where she slowly delved into his mind, pulling out his happiest memory to live his last moments.