Chapter twelve

GRACE

My feet stamped on muddy grass, wet footprints left behind, to show I even existed. Cheeks stained with dried tears. Hiccups fled my clogged throat. I craved water, just a drop, but I had no money. Not even fifty pennies in my savings. No store for miles. Was I going to make it home in time for 6 a.m.? The breeze nicked at my skin.

I had left a cursing Connor in the parking lot. Last I'd seen, he was slumped against the wheel.

How dangerous was it to hitch-hike? Utterly dangerous. Who knew whose car you could end up in? A murderer's? Someone worse than who I'd been raised by? Perhaps I should've stayed with Connor. He was safer than a killer. But I chose to stand my ground.

My feet neared the highway where cars fled by in the dark. Short posts led light onto the road. What if a car were to stop, to take me away? My future dark and musty. At two a.m., the roads were short of any cars. Even the sky remained blank.

Wheels dragged on the road. My heart rate tripled. I should've run, but there was nowhere to run. My footsteps faltered. Eyes squeezed shut.

"Grace, I can see you."

His voice. He'd come for me.

My teary eyes stole his stupid face a mere glance. No way would I get into the car. So in the same stubbornness, I waltzed off.

"Grace, this is a dangerous road. There are creeps all over this town. Do you want to risk with that?"

I scoffed. "And you are supposed to be any different how?"

This was not me. He brought out the best in me, but also the worst. An attitude I never saw coming.

He groaned. "Get in the car."

If I got in the car, our story might never end. And if we went too far, I'd be... it'd end bad.

Tyres scrunched. A horn sounded behind him. "Get off the – Oh, baby. Want a ride?"

I ignored the strange man. No, I would not get in a car with either of them.

He slowed behind Connor. "Or you can give me a ride. Lift up that dress and show me those tits."

Connor's jaw locked. He was about to lose it. As was I. The disrespect of this horrible man! I was not a doll to play with, only to be cast aside when they got bored. I deserved some respect. How much mistreatment could I tolerate in twenty-four hours before I collapsed?

Apparently, not enough.

"No!" I hissed at the man. "Go and give yourself a ride. I can definitely ride myself out better than you even could. Now leave me alone."

Anger puffed at his face. "What did you just say to me, bitch?"

The car stopped in time with Connor's. The buff man stormed out. Connor was quicker. At the vile situation I'd created, I stepped back, retreating behind my saviour who stood between us. "Let her be. Get back in your damn car and forget this. You won't touch a hair on her head or I'll fucking kill you."

He did seem ready to kill. I'd unleashed this side of him.

"Take better care of your bitch, maybe? If she sucked your cock good, she'd act all proper. Ever thought of just stuffing it in?" Leftover dinner rose in my stomach. Despite Connor's threats and angry posture, the repulsive man eyed me up and down. "She's a church girl, anyway. I doubt she knows how to suck. Want to try it?"

Connor's hands fisted, withholding himself from punching that man.

He spat. He literally spat at Connor's feet. "Teach her how to keep that pretty, big mouth shut. I keep my woman in check with hands. How about you learn, boy?"