Chapter nineteen

GRACE

The alcohol sat too uncomfortably in my abdomen.

The girl wore an uncomfortable smile but managed to brush her way past me. I was clasping my bottle of alcohol so hard that my fingers ached. As for him: he was standing there like a stupid doll. Right as his head tilted to the side, before he said, "What are you doing here?"

Every previous thought of kissing him lifted from my head. Now, that thought only repulsed me. The thing was: even if we weren't together, it was still heartless of him to rub these things in my face. When a break-up occurs, both parties deserve some respect.

So what did that say about him?

To say the least, he was surprised when I pushed him aside to enter the room. I needed to get my clothes and get out of there. Now, my mother's words rang in my ears whenever I looked at my outfit. Had I proved her right? The door shut behind us and I wasn't even shocked to see him also inside. My eyes kept adjusting away from the bed, not wanting to know where they had sex. The thought only repulsed me.

"You're mad."

Thank you, Mr. State the Obvious!

My clothes were laid neatly in Anna's bag, but just as my hand reached for them, a hand gripped my arm. He had a look of anger on his face, coupled with sadness.

No, he had no right to be sad and play the victim.

If he regretted sleeping with her, then it wouldn't make any difference.

"You think I slept with her." It wasn't a question. Why did his lack of question mark make me angry? "And you're mad about it. But we broke up, so I don't understand..."

Is he serious?

My arm twisted over and over, trying to break free from his hold. As usual, he didn't budge. "You're hurting me."

His mouth formed into a thin line at that, possibly disappointed he had taken it too far... again. For a minute there, his eyes flicked to my head and his hold loosened. "You can keep fighting, but it doesn't change the fact that we have to talk."

"I think we have done enough talking."

The abrupt, crude comment shocked both of us, but it wasn't enough to back us down.

"No. I say when we're done. You don't get to run away this time."

With my head tilted to the side, I asked, "Is that what you said to her?"

Connor retreated.

I was about to laugh in victory.

But he was full of more surprises than anyone I knew. As he threw his head back and laughed. Easy to say, my disgust with him doubled.

Before he leaned forward and got in my face. "No, I didn't. I can say that to you if you want after."

"After what?" I was curious now.

Connor looked down, right at my chest. "After sex, Grace."

This was it. This was really it.

And right this minute, my hand raised and struck him across the face. His flushed skin had a handprint mark there now. A flash of hurt could be seen in his eyes, but it didn't seem to faze him. Rather, he smiled wickedly and tapped that cheek patiently. "You want to hit me, huh? If so, then do it."

What?

Just as I started to shake my head, he clasped my arm again, jerking me forward. "Do it again, Grace. If you're so pissed at me, then take it out. Take that anger out on me. Don't I deserve it?"