𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

【 16 years ago 

A woman, carrying a small baby girl, is walking through an ancient, oak-brown forest. A forest that reeks of a strong woody aroma from centuries of splintered branches crashing to the forest's floor and rotting away silently, the composting, organic smell rising up in waves. Every stretching tree they passed under prompted the woman to be reminded of a watchful guardian, a silent sentinel of the botanical wonderland. As the woman ventured deeper into the entangled heart of this prehistoric forest, she hoped that it would reveal to her a light in the dark tunnel of life.

The woman and child soon arrived at a wide meadow, where the trees fell away, revealing a random arrangement of wildflowers and the be-speckled sky. The first of the evening's stars were glinting like golden pinholes, luminous and bright. A silver moon hung quietly in the distance, casting a haunting sheen over the trees. Not too far away a wolf howled, cutting through the silence like a knife. The woman and child kept on moving through the forest, the lunar glow of the gods guiding the way and keeping unwanted predators away. Soon enough the woman and child reached another obstacle in the form of a babbling brook. The woman raises the hand that isn't holding up the child, and with a flick of her wrist the water is parted just far enough for the duo to pass through.

The further they went, the more transcendental and bewitching it became. Huge roots enveloped the ground, slithering along like hundreds of snakes. The vegetation became thick and lush, forming an arch of an ethereal fairytale-green above their heads. Blight boughs, gnarled with age, dripped their bounty of nuts onto the path. Briars, brambles and berry trees bordered the trail, making it inaccessible on either side. Shuffling noises came from deep within the interior of the forest, subdued by the skilfully woven web of leaves. A troupe of hobbling badgers crossed the winding trail in front of them at one point. They were finishing up their nighttime foraging and looked startled to see the woman and child.

The woman carries on through the forest as though she is on a mission. Soon, it seems she has reached her destination, an abandoned barn. The barn is red in colour, although it is hard to tell as the paint is slowly disintegrating away, along with the rotting oak planks. The woman opens the barn door with a loud creak, standing on edge as though she is ready to fight at a moments notice. Then she hears a voice.

"Cordelia?" The woman, Cordelia, spins around. She lets out a sigh of relief when she sees the person who spoke.

"Silva. Thank you for coming. I wouldn't normally ask this of you, but we have no one else to turn to."

"Cordelia, I assure you that what you are asking of me will be possible. You should say your goodbyes, we aren't safe out here." Cordelia nods.

"Right..." She whispers. She looks down at the child and studied her chubby face, her rosy cheeks her chocolate brown eyes and the tuft of white hair. "My darling girl, I am so sorry to do this to you. But, you are no longer safe with me. Silva will take good care of you, I love you my beautiful, Crystal." Cordelia looks at her daughter with tears glistening in her eyes, before handing her over to Silva.

"I promise that I will do everything in my power to keep her safe." Silva vows. "I must go, stay safe out there." He says before rushing off, leaving behind a heartbroken mother with silent tears running down her cheeks.