v. chapter five

CONTROL IS DIFFICULT TO OVERCOME.

"You never told me you had a sister!" Penelope exclaimed in excitement, accidentally spitting out a piece of apple she was munching on. "Oops, sorry." She wiped Calista's cheek and picked up the neglected apple chunk, hurling it into the trash beside her bed. Calista rolled her eyes, wondering how her friend managed to flip serious conversations into light hearted ones. Maybe it was her gift.

"How was I to know my parents conceived a child long before I trotted along. They never mentioned her. There were no pictures, no memories with her in them, she's practically a ghost to me." Calista muttered. "Were they ashamed of her?" She whispered to herself, caving in with low thoughts about why her parents locked away a secret so deceiving.

Penelope gave her friend a flat look. "You're stressing, quit it."

"I can't help it. I have a sister, it's beginning to weigh on me."

Calista had every right to know she had a sister, her parents had almost eighteen years to build the courage for the confession to pass through either one of their mouths.

"On another note, did you find out what she is?" Penelope asked, setting aside her half eaten green apple and sprawling across Calista's lap like she always did, a comforting act for the two of them. "Witch? Immortal soul eater? Maybe even a mutt?"

"Don't disrespect the wolves, Pen." Calista flicked Penelope's ear and the short haired girl pouted, snatching Calista's free hand and forcing her to massage lanky fingers along her scalp. Calista obliged and went along with it, finally answering the question.

"I think she's a witch, like me and mom... but something is telling me she could be a wolf. I sensed her aura the second she stepped into the room, but I wasn't receiving a definite answer."

"So what if she's both? What if she's a hybrid and that could explain why your parents never openly spoke about her." Penelope suggested, making a point.

"But why go to such lengths just to hide her from me. I don't understand why.." Calista trailed off, stroking the hair back from Penelope's forehead. "I have been inside these walls for a little under 72 hours and so far, I met a nice and humble vampire who I might actually consider befriending. I ran into Hope a few times, majority were dreadful. You discovered having an allergic reaction to strawberries is almost fatal, and now I have a long lost sister, who I know nothing about, age, species, nothing." Calista rambled on, finishing with a long deflated sigh, her lungs expanding with stress.

"Wait, are you trying to replace me with a blood lusting creature?" Penelope sat up in an instant, whipping her face around and grabbing Calista's shoulders, shaking her violently.

"No. I could never." Calista answered firmly, but Penelope proceeded rocking her shoulders back and forth, harsher than the previous abuse.

"Calista Donna Drakos, you better not replace me or I will ruin your life, and it's not a threat, it's a promise." The brown eyed witch knew Calista didn't own a middle name, so it became a reoccurring joke to say a random name every time Penelope was angry at Calista, or simply wanted to irk her. The witch has listed them all — Jane, Lilac, Danielle, you name it and Penelope is likely to have spat it in the heat of one of their disagreements. Today, the occasion was Donna.