vi. chapter six

DANCING MACHINE

( sorry for the long break between updates )

"Just go up to her and ask her."

Calista scowled at her best friend's not so helpful manner and reeled her face back in annoyance. "It's much easier said than done." She grumbled, breaking away from the 'discrete' cover behind a potted plant. "How about you try talking to a sister you didn't know you had."

Penelope's face softened and she removed herself from hiding, grabbing at her best friend's loose dangling hand. "I know it's a difficult situation to manage, but you both deserve to know what your parents kept from you." She said, rubbing her thumb softly over Calista's knuckles.

"You're right," Calista muttered in defeat, "I have to speak with her either way."

Penelope grinned, letting go of Calista's hand and nudging her shoulder lightly in direction of the doors. "Go on," she ushered. "I'll be encouraging you from right here."

Calista breathed out shakily and clenched her hands into fists, taking two steps and then easing into continuous strides toward the door that she knocked on and waited for a response. A small "Come in, it's open" traveled through the thin wood.

Calista turned around to catch Penelope flirting with Josie who just so happened to conveniently walk past and she scoffed. So much for the wise encouragement.

The witch didn't waste a second long enough to get cold feet and pushed open the door, shuffling inside. Coey glanced up from her notebook and is surprised to see Calista swaying in the doorway.

"Feeling faint? You look a little pale."

"No," Calista said, nibbling on her bottom lip. "I'm-"

"Sick?" She interrupted, getting out of her seat to approach Calista and place a cold hand against her scorching forehead. "You have a fever."

Calista quietly grunted and pushed the hand from her head as gently as possible. "I'm not here because I feel sick. I wanted to talk to you."

"Concerning what importance? I'm a nurse, treating sick kids is the reason I get paid every week."

"I promise this won't consume much of your time."

"I'm limiting you to five questions." The woman sighed and sat down at the small table, gesturing for Calista to join her.