Chapter 7 - The Escape

Sadie POV

I reloaded the pistol I gripped in my hand with a fierce expression on my face.

I preferred my katanas, but I didn't have them right now and a gun would do just fine.

The so-called Avengers ran out of the alley to avoid being trapped and got into fighting positions on the deserted road. 

Not a moment later, screeching tires could be heard as black vehicles rounded a corner and stopped on the far end of the street, putting quite a bit of distance between us.

The vans parked, and a large cluster of HYDRA agents dressed in black shuffled out, guns raised at the group, but specifically at me. Not to mention they had about six times the amount of people on their team.

Oh great.

Neither side fired, tension rising in the air until one of the HYDRA employees broke the silence with his thick accent, "Give us the girl, and we'll be on our way." He took a step forward from the crowd now behind him, holding his gun ready at his side. I glared daggers at the man, but he either didn't notice my death glare because of the distance between us or was choosing to ignore it. 

"I don't think so," the man who introduced himself as Steve retorted, also taking a step forward. Because of the large gap between the two sides, both had to yell in order for the enemy to hear.

"Let's get this over with," I mumbled to myself as I fired at one of the many HYDRA agents, hitting him in the shoulder, but I made sure the actual shot wasn't lethal. 

For a moment, the only thing that could be heard was the loud bang from my pistol echoing off the tall buildings around us, but as soon as the agent went down, HYDRA opened fire and chaos erupted. 

Bullets were flying every which way, accompanied by a shield, arrows, a hammer and energy blasts, joining the shouts filling the atmosphere that both teams were releasing. 

I continued to fire at the herd of HYDRA soldiers, taking down one agent after another as I sprinted towards the enemy, making sure to dodge the incoming fire with fast maneuvers.

"Kid! What are you doing?!" The man in the metal suit yelled over the ear-piercing screaming of bullets as he shot his repulsors from his palms at the enemy.

"What does it look like?!" I shouted back before sprinting faster and springing into a front aerial to dodge a bullet directed at my head. 

(Ignore the jump thing after she does the front aerial in the gif)

I landed it with ease since I've been doing that stunt - along with most of the other moves - for as long as I can remember. Most of these I taught myself, or I just knew somehow. I used it in my training, and shockingly, HYDRA didn't protest against it. They saw it as an advantage, I guess.

With every stride I ran, I gained closer to the firing squad.

I ducked and dodged every bullet that came my way and fired back with the little ammo I had left.

By the time I approached the group, about sixteen soldiers remained as the 'Avengers' had taken the rest out from afar.

I ran out of ammo just as I reached the group, so I ditched my pistol but kept the throwing knife in my hand.

The second I was in a fightable distance, I started taking soldiers down in hand-to-hand combat.

I threw the knife into one's leg while hooking another agent's arm as they tried to throw a punch at me.

I held them in front of me for a moment as another agent fired at me, only to hit the man who I held instead of myself.

I then flipped him over onto his back and did a spinning high kick to the head of the man who had just tried to shoot at me, sending him to the cement as well.

I quickly blew some strands of hair out of my face as I observed how many soldiers were still left

The Avengers had picked off quite a few more, so there were only five left.

I grabbed one of the larger guns from one of the unconscious HYDRA agents and snuck up behind one that was firing at Steve, hitting him in the back of his head as hard as I could with the butt of the gun, causing him to collapse as I kicked another soldier in the stomach. They stumbled back, and I swept my legs around, knocking his feet out from under him.

Another fired at me, and I just managed to bend my upper body back and out of the way of the bullet. It was a couple of inches above my face when I arced back, but I pulled myself up as soon as the bullet passed and kicked the man's knees out so he was now kneeling on the ground. I punched him across the face as hard as I could, sending him to the ground to join his other buddies.

I still held my fists up as I panted for a couple of moments, before realizing that he was the last one.

I lowered my fists as I saw the Avengers walking towards me, and I straightened out my flannel and t-shirt, followed by blowing a strand of my hair out of my face once again, overlooking the scene around me. All the agents were injured, but I made sure the ones I fought, I didn't kill. Otherwise, I would be no different than HYDRA, and that's what I was trying to escape.

I could see a slightly shocked expression on a couple of the member's faces, but it vanished as soon as it arrived. 

"Cooper, you alright?" Natasha asked as she hesitantly stepped towards me.

"I'm fine," I replied quietly while continuing to look down at the damage I had done, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"We've got to get to the jet before they send back up," the man with the metal arm said - I hadn't learned his name yet.

"Stark, fly ahead and get the quinjet started," Steve instructed. The metal man nodded and lifted off the ground, flying away. My guess was Steve was the Captain of the group since he seemed to be giving most of the orders.

Before I could ask any questions, the team took off running in the direction the metal man had flown off.

I never trusted anyone. Ever. But something in my gut told me this was my only option and that they were telling me the truth, they meant me no harm and they could help me. I guess we'll find out soon enough if my judgement made the right call.

Wow it's been a little while since I updated!