Chapter 18 - Ruthful Rescue

The sun had just set over Mali's horizon. The warm air was thick and heavy, as if suffocating anyone in its wake, so Sadie was welcoming of the cooling twilight.

Her hearing still was primarily absent, but the two had been relatively silent anyways.

Their water was slowly starting to diminish, as well as food. They would have just enough to make it till daybreak -- which was when the supposed rescue was supposed to take place.

Sadie's eyes had started to droop over the past 15 minutes, but each time she had shaken herself back awake. She had to be on watch. Being vulnerable to Mali's wilderness or any enemies that decided to resurface was not an option.

She blinked multiple times and ran a hand over her face in an attempt to regain alertness. Bucky had noticed her fighting sleep for the past few minutes before he decided to say -- or write -- something: 'Get some rest. I'll keep watch.' Since she was a powerful super-soldier that had been through unimaginable circumstances, it sometimes caused others to forget really how young she was. Sadie was a kid. She shouldn't have to be in life or death situations on what felt like a daily basis for Bucky since they brought her in. It hadn't taken long for the team to become slightly protective of her, Barnes included.

The words Bucky wrote in the dirt were just visible enough to read with the newfound darkness. Sadie simply shook her head and waved off his offer.

'Suit yourself, he wrote back.

Sadie stifled a yawn as he got up to start the fire. Bucky used the limited firewood he had collected during daylight and put his survival skills to use, successfully making a well-fuelled fire in minutes.

The comforting -- yet not overwhelming -- warmth from the fire caused Sadie to curl in on herself as she turned her back to Bucky, who was sitting up against a separate tree a few meters away, happily giving her space.

The battle between sleep and consciousness ended when Sadie finally gave in to her body's requests to rest.

~~~

The warmth of golden sunlight dancing on her face woke Sadie from her slumber. She had intended on trading off watch shifts with Bucky to let him get some rest as well, but had accidentally slept soundly through the night. She couldn't remember a time she had slept that peacefully without nightmares.

Her eyes fluttered open to see Bucky taking a swig from what remained in his water bottle, offering her a small cocky grin when he noticed she was awake. 'Look who finally decided to wake up,' he wrote.

"Yeah, yeah," she muttered. "When will they be here?"

'About half an hour.'

"Good, that gives me some time to explore what's left of the medical facility," she responded as she hoisted herself to her feet and stretched her stiff muscles.

Bucky quickly sprang up and stepped in front of her, obviously disapproving of the idea.

"Relax, I just want to check out some of the old files."

He simply shook his head firmly. Sadie knew the risks: soldiers still there, land mines, or other dangerous scenarios, but they were unlikely, and she believed herself skilled enough to take care of herself.

After pondering her options for a moment, she slumped her shoulders slightly and turned back towards their makeshift camp.

Bucky followed her, but in less than a split second, she whipped around and bolted around him, JUST barely escaping his grasp.