Chapter 17 - Ruptured

I don't think I need to remind you guys again, but this is in NO WAY meant to be romantic :)

~~~

Sadie's agitated breathes and tense muscles ceased as soon as those names left his mouth. Her fist at her side uncurled, and she was left confused as she stared blankly at the unconscious body before her.

Those names.....sounded oddly familiar to her. It was like there was an itch at the back of her skull that she couldn't quite reach. She wasn't sure if she felt them familiar because she wanted to believe she still had family and her mind was messing with her or if they were legitimately real.

HYDRA was known for deceit and trickery, so there was a high chance it was completely fake, but the man claimed he wasn't with HYDRA. If the man wasn't HYDRA, then who was he?

"Sadie, this place is going to blow soon! Where are you?!" Her comm knocked her mind from deep inside her thoughts.

"I...I'm coming," she partially stuttered as she started to regain her composure.

Taking one last look at the agent on the ground, she grabbed her firearm resting on the cobblestone floor and bolted up the staircase.

She fumbled with the doorknob, and to no one's surprise, it was locked.

'Dang it.'

She slammed her shoulder into the door with all her might, attempting to break apart the obstacle. After a few hefty shoves, the door splintered apart, and Sadie immediately bolted through the frame.

Heavy footsteps of many pairs of combat boots about to turn the corner into the hallway in front of her echoed around the room, so she dove behind the closest wall, hoping that when they passed, they wouldn't turn around.

She kept her breath silent and even with her back flush against the wall, the footsteps getting louder. Eventually, they started running past, their backs to her as they continued their search. It wasn't until they were out of sight that Sadie took a breath of relief, peering cautiously around the corner to ensure no more were coming.

The relief vanished when an ear-splitting explosion erupted near a set of windows, causing rubble and shards of glass to fly in all directions. The force from the blast sent Sadie soaring back into a concrete column before landing on her side in a pool of glass and chunks of cement.

Dust and debris filled her lungs, causing her to cough to try to settle the foreign substance in her chest. It didn't help that there was a steady ringing noise in her eardrums. After a few short-lived wheezes, she slowly attempted to get up, her body sore and begging her to just relax. She set her hands on the ground to help support her body in getting up, but shards of glass just penetrated her skin.

A wince was held back by Sadie while she stood on wobbly legs, trying to find her sense of balance and direction in her scattered mind. She needed to get out of this disaster.

The skin of Sadie's ears lobs tingled as small amounts of blood traced them. Everything passing through her ears were fuzzy.

Just great. Ruptured eardrums was not something she needed added to her plate right now.

With no more time to lose, she quickly ran down the hallway towards the exit. There were faint sounds of explosions that managed to penetrate her mangled ears, sounding much quieter than they were in reality. She shot a few soldiers in non-lethal places on her way, having only one objective on her mind now: get out alive.

The end of the hall was insight, and the door was open wide. She slowed her sprinting speed to a walk and stood in the doorway, the scorching sun quickly relishing its chance to toast her skin. The vehicle was still there, and there was no sign of Bucky anywhere.