Chapter 9: Evocation of Sorrow

At the Azur Lane base…

Night falls, as the ships returned to their docks, the massive Airborne Fortress landing not far from them, its Optical Camouflage System activated.

The humanised airship then began to disembark from the craft, jumping towards the sandy beach illuminated by the moonlight above.

As he took steps, the grains of sand below his feet popped out, himself not giving it any mind and continuing towards the crowd of shipgirls, fellow combatants from earlier.

As he nears them, a familiar voice coming from a short blonde girl called out to him, prompting him to swivel his head towards the source.

"Gleipnir!" Said Cleveland as she waved towards the raven-haired male.

Acknowledging her with a grunt, he approached the petite blonde, intent on knowing what she has to say.

"What is it, Cleveland?" He got closer, and subsequently launched a question.

"I just want to tell you, the debriefing would be held tomorrow instead of today due to… reasons. I think it's probably because it's dead in the middle of the night, but—"

"Cut to the chase, please." Impatient, he hurried the girl.

"Ah, right. So, where are you going to spend the night? Since you're new, we haven't constructed any new dorms yet for you… sorry for the inconvenience…" She apologetically shook her head, feeling sorry for the new addition.

"Don't you worry about me, worry about that cat instead. I can just sleep on my ship, no harm done."

"Oh, okay then! I was thinking of letting you sleep in my dorm along with my sisters, but I don't think you need it now."

"... Are you serious?" He deadpanned.

Just how friendly can she get?

"Well yes, but you're not allowed to do anything weird!"

"Of course I won't, I'm not even going to take that offer. Besides, why are you asking me that, when you saw me destroying the mass-produced siren ships and planes? Don't you have any ounce of fear towards me?"

"To be honest, I do fear you a bit, but hey, we're all in the same boat now, and I'm sure you won't hurt us!"

"Whatever you say…"

Disengaging from his conversation with Cleveland with a step backwards, he trudged on, trying to reach his airship.

However, before he could go any further, a familiar white-haired maid stopped him.

"Gleipnir, I would like to express my gratitude for earlier." Belfast curtly bowed, thanking the Airborne Fortress.

"Don't mind it, if anything, it's actually bad, since I disobeyed orders and all…"

"I see. It is fair. I must not inconvenience you further, farewell, Gleipnir." Seeing it's quite late in the night, she excused herself to let the newcomer have a rest.

"You too, Belfast."

With that, he continued strutting towards the Airborne Fortress, all the while feeling a new sensation.

'Fatigue.' He figured, a common sensation after doing an activity.

In this case, blowing sirens to smithereens with the Shock Cannon, along with the SWBM.

The male finally reached the imposing figure of the Airborne Fortress, and then set foot into it, finding the way towards the Captain's main cabin, the place he would sleep on his own volition this time.