Chapter 1 - Two Titans Clashing

As I was walking casually towards my classroom, I reminisced on the absolute bore fest of an entrance ceremony we just endured. Nothing of value was said during this time so I took my time to subtly glance at my surroundings. Around 1000 students gathered in the hall to listen to a man – who I expect to be the principle – drawl on about the school's history and policies. Absolutely unneeded in my opinion but I digress. I could see plenty of students my age dutifully stand and pretend, I thought, to listen. Upstanding student council hopefuls they must be! How inspiring! First impressions are the most important, so I've heard – how draining. The only thing I could to slightly entertain myself was to spot others gazing at their surroundings. It was quite amusing to watch, then I remembered someone could be thinking the exact same about me.

So overall not much to from the entrance ceremony to gauge this school's manifesto. Oh well, I'm sure my classroom, which stands ahead of me, will give me much more insight into the workings of the school. As I passed the overhead sign of 'Class D', I surveyed the room of people to look for my desk, finally stopping on the back right corner near the window. Strolling over I walked to the desk placed before a brown-haired, hazel eyed boy, who was conversing with a sharp-looking dark-haired girl.

Great, they are both extremely pretty. I scowled to myself and cursed them to oblivion as I made this observation.

As I got closer, I could pick up on some of their heated conversation.

...went ahead and introduced yourself?" the dark-haired beauty said.

"Well, this is the second time that we've spoken. Isn't it fine for me to do so?" Replied the emotionless good-looking male. He looked slightly exasperated already so I could tell that she must be a strong personality.

"Do you mind if I refuse?" Yep, nailed that one. So strong. Just after meeting someone she can mercilessly shut them down without a second thought. Terrifying. Shows an abundance of confidence in one's self. She would be aware that this behaviour may make her disliked. I just don't think she cares. I'm conflicted. That confidence is mesmerising however I don't see a friendship blooming any time soon.

"If I'm bothering you, you can just tell me to be quiet." Oh, good probing comeback pretty boy-kun, I'm very impressed.

The girl turned her gaze to him and introduced herself. "Horikita Suzune."

The guy got his wish! He nodded slightly and looked down at her nameplate. Did you think she would lie, man? "And who is the curious spectator in the peanut gallery? You might want to have your seat".

Oh shit, I was too immersed in their conversation that I was unknowingly watching from a couple metres away – with my head on a swivel following each rebuttal like it was a tennis match.

"Oh, my bad," I started. "Kanera Beru, I was just intrigued by the vicious conversation of students who have met before."

This line got the attention of the boy who finally noticed my presence. He didn't seem overly surprised by me being there... As if he knew already or is unable to express emotions on his face. Hmm, jury is still out on that one.

"Strange name," she mercilessly pointed out.

"Thanks!" I cheerfully replied. Horikita narrowed her eyes as if unamused.

"Also," She began. Jeez, it's starting to turn into an interrogation. "Why would you think that we've met before?"

Is she serious?

"Mr... uhh?" I glanced to Horikita's previous conversation partner. He met my eyes and answered my mumbling.

"Ayanakouji Kiyotaka"

I focused back on Horikita. "Ayanakouji mentioned 'second time' before so it wasn't a hard deduction."

"You're quite observant," she said.

"Only with people I like!" I replied with a grin.

Horikita heavily sighed and muttered, "Seems like I have two problem children to deal with... I pray this will be my only upset."

Ayanakouji's and my own eyes briefly stayed on Horikita until they met each other's. As I maintained eye contact, I scrutinized that he was very in control, although something felt out of place – as if he thought this brief dialogue between us was entertaining. Strange. I kept my expression neutral as we shrugged at each other and I took my seat in front of him.

As the teacher walked in, I thought I would be able to establish a sense of kinship with these two intriguing individuals... Hmm only time will tell.