Chapter 2 - Defectives of Class D

As the new boy – who introduced himself as Kanera Beru – sat down in front of me, it was only a few moments until our new homeroom teacher made her appearance. When I first saw her, my initial impression was that she firmly believed in discipline. If I had to guess, I would have placed her at age thirty. She wore a suit and had delicate features. Her hair seemed long, and she tied it into a ponytail.

She introduced herself as Chabashira Sae and she proceeded to give the class a run-down of the curriculum, rules and standards of the school. The most unique feature which caught my eye was the use of the 'S System.'

After receiving our student ID cards, we were told of it's uses around campus – which ultimately came down to it being a glorified credit card. She proceeded to say that we had received 100,000 points already. An extreme amount for a high schooler. After the eruption from the class, she ended up finishing her spiel whilst carefully surveying the students. After asking if there were any questions, she immediately left the classroom. There was something hiding underneath her sweet words, I was sure of it.

----

"This school doesn't seem as strict as I thought," I muttered.

I thought I was talking to myself but Horikita looked in my direction. Surprisingly Kanera turned sideways in his chair to half face me. They must have thought that I was continuing our earlier conversation.

"This school is extremely lenient, isn't it?" Horikita asked.

Kanera glanced at Horikita and resumed his gaze back on me. "It appears so, however Chabashira-sensei's wording and tone made me uncomfortable."

With his attention back on me, I was able to fully see his features. He had a handsome face with wavy black bangs which almost covered his eyeline. They were slightly parted to one side but overall, kept a messy 'pretty boy' look. Like Horikita, he had discerning eyes. The misty teal blue looked inquisitive and calm, as if gaining subtle information by the second. I could see him being quite popular and sociable with the fairer side of sex.

But what I was most focused on were his words. He understood that there was an underlying issue with Chabashira-sensei's speech. The way he spoke, is as if he was trying to delve into unseen meanings. Not the verbal cues most people listen for, but the barely visible non-linear forms of output. The body language, tone of voice, face value – I assume that is what he was picking up on. How curious.

Although this could be me over-reacting to the littlest of discrepancies. So, I zoned back in.

"Uncomfortable?" Queried Horikita.

"Yes," replied Kanera. He focused back on Horikita and explained his outburst. "It's probably me being overly cautious, however I was concerned on how she delivered her little spiel there."

"Continue," insisted Horikita. Hey! He's made more progress with her than me. How frustrating. Well, he had my attention too so I can't complain.

"The main thing that stands out is that she wanted questions..." Kanera looked up in thought as he continued, "...and looked slightly disappointed when she didn't receive any."

"Hmm, maybe I'm overthinking it," he sighed. He seems to have a very overactive mind, or it is finetuned to certain social cues. As if he constantly reads between the lines of human conversation. He didn't want to seem strange to a couple of new people, so he retracted slightly, however he hadn't needed to. It looks as though Horikita, Kanera and myself were of one mind. Something with this 'S System' was certainly strange. Only time would reveal the answer. As if to confirm my agreement, Horikita replied.