The Next Right Thing

Milo sat in his room after dinner thinking about his ordeal.  All he could think of was those anti-bullying documentaries they'd showed them in jr. high.  They always stressed not not telling someone when something like that happened because the bully counts on you being too afraid to speak up because they don't want to be caught.  If everyone did that, he thought, there wouldn't be a single bully left.  Milo pondered for a moment, momentarily distracted from his history homework.  They teach us stuff for a reason, he further thought, I ought to use it.

Milo quickly filled in the rest of his homework, "Done." and logged on to the school website.  Clicking over to the staff link, he found the email address of the assistant principal, Mr. Phoebus.

Mr. Phoebus, as the assistant principal, while he did most of the disciplinary actions, he also always supported team spirit.  He was at every major event for the school from Freshmen Orientation to Senior Graduation.  He was always very enthusiastic, helpful, kind, and a lot of other things that all school staff should strive to be. He always reminded people he was there to help.  As he always said at Freshmen Orientations, "Although I'm your assistant principal, I want to be your friend.  Your assistant princiPAL."  he had a way of using plays on words.  He was easily one of the most approachable staff members at school.

Milo copied the email address and started a new email.  He took a deep breath as he began instinctively typing out his email.  He started by saying who he was and stating what Mr. Phoebus most remembered him by: being last year's Debate Champion.  Then began the cringe-worthy act of explaining the situation.  He only hoped that Mr. Phoebus could do something so that it wouldn't happen again.  Nobody in their right mind would want that to happen again.  Before sending, he paused when he heard a meow and his cat, Fluffy, jumped into his lap.  Fluffy had been Milo's cat for a long time; she looked at her young master and seemed to sense his anxiety.  Milo stroked her, "Should I do it, Fluffy?" he sighed, "No one knows what Hans will do when I send this."  Fluffy stared at him as though trying to say, "Of course you should.  It's a little thing called The Next Right Thing."  Milo looked at his email and back at Fluffy, "Alright.  If I don't come back alive tomorrow, tell Grandpa to donate my brain to science." He gave it one last look-over, then hit the 'send' button.

That done, he carried Fluffy and sat down in a more comfortable chair in the corner.  Fluffy licked her young master's arm and purred up at him.  Milo began stroking her again and pressed his head deep into the chair thinking.  

Far away, ten streets away from Milo's house and three streets away from school, Mr. Phoebus was sitting in the living room of his house watching Fox News with his wife, Ms. Esmeralda when he heard his phone buzz.  He took it out of his pocket, had a look, and saw a new email from Milo Thatch titled 'Trouble with Hans', "Hmmm. Milo."  He read through the email and drew in a sharp breath when he read the part about the wedgies, "Note to self, call Milo and Hans tomorrow.