29 | something told me it was you

Darting off the boardwalk, Avery lets her feet sink into the heavy sand as she steers her steps across the dunes towards the shoreline. Ethan's soon to catch up to her as she slows her pace, rolling his eyes as she shoots him a smile over her shoulder.

"Is there a reason you keep trying to outrun me?"

The ocean breeze lifts the few errant strands of hair having escaped her ponytail and they fly in the air as she whirls around to run backwards. "I just slowed down for your sake!"

The slight chill to the air speckles her warm skin with cold as she turns on her feet again, Ethan lengthening his step to be by her side. "You really think you're faster than me?"

There's a light bounce to her step as her smile widens. "I know I am," As he stops in his tracks – panting slightly with his hands on his hips she does too. She gives herself a beat to catch her breath before her smile crosses into a faint playful smirk. "You need a break or something?"

His lips twitch up, shaking his head with a smile at her remark. "We're racing."

"Racing?"

"Uh-huh," He nods, running a hand through his wind tossed hair. "You. Me. Let's settle this right now."

Her cheeks tighten with her smile, hands cupping her hips over the material of the white fleece sweater she's in as she watches him draw a starting line in the sand. "Okay. Where to?"

"Parlor."

Avery squints against the low early November sun, the horrendous light blue color painting the building of the ice cream parlor far in sight. "Are you sure you're going to last all the way over there?"

"Just get in position."

She lets a small laugh out, holding her hands up in surrender as she gets into position next to Ethan. Tightening her ponytail she weighs back and forth on the soles of her runner shoes. "Get ready to lose."

          As he's counting them down she does intend to sprint him, but just as they're off another idea springs into mind – a far more inviting idea. And so, a few steps into their sprint she slides her leg out in front of him. Watching him tumble onto the ground she slows her step and presses her lips together, trying to conceal the laugh slipping through them.

"Now that's foul play."

A loud squeal joins her laughter as he latches onto her ankle, tugging her out of balance and tripping her to the ground. Sitting up, she shakes the sand out of her hair and dusts her palms against one another but she's quick to scramble back in a weird crawl-gait as she notices the mischievous gleam to Ethan's eye.

"No, no," She laughs again as he quickly maneuvers her, gently wrestling her back to the ground. He pins her hands – the pads of his fingertips cold against hers – to the ground by by the sides of her head and another faint chortle escapes her. "No."

Sat across her torso, his lips pull into a smirk as he peers down at her – noticing the grin having overtaken her face. "Oh I see, this is what you wanted all along."

Her jaw aches slightly from her smile, warmth flushing her cheeks as the ocean breeze continues to have her errant strands of hair whipping her forehead. She lifts her head and shoulders off the ground, propping herself up on her elbows best as she can with him still holding onto her hands and his weight pressing her down. The corners of her already beaming smile twitch again. 

"Maybe."

A silent laugh escapes him as he inches closer, their warm breaths melting together in the chill air as his lips hovers over hers. "Seems like someone knew they were going to lose."