3 | water(s)

Avery jumps high with a shriek as a hand lands on on her shoulder. 

She whirls to her side, heart thumping in her chest as she tries to decide whether she should turn around back home and quicken her step or stop to fight whoever's decided to target her. As she sees the grinning face beside her she tears her earphones out.

Fight. Definitely fight.

"You can't just appear out of nowhere like that!" She scowls.

"I called your name but you didn't hear me–"

"And the first brilliant idea that came to mind was to sneak up on me?" Avery's panting breaths slow slightly as she puts her hand to her hip. "Okay, rule number one: If you see someone you know out running, by themselves, on a deserted road," She gestures vaguely to their surroundings with her other hand. "You do not just pop up by their side – or touch them for that matter."

A sheepish smile appears on Ethan's lips. "Well when you put it like that," He rubs a hand through his hair. "At least now we know your stress response works like it should though."

Avery shoots him a glare, but as she does she can't help but to let her eyes swiftly gaze over him – noting his sport apparel, runner shoes and earphones dangling from the pocket of his soccer shorts. Her hand flies up to her hair, pulling at the strands of hair that have loosened themselves from the ponytail, grimacing at the sticky feeling of her skin. As he cocks his head to the side with a grin she quickly drops her arm back to her side, frowning at the amusement crossing his eyes.

"I didn't know you're a runner."

"I'm not," She shifts in her stance, crossing her arms only to uncross them again. "Well I am. But not like... on a team or- You could say it's a hobby."

"Seems like we run into each other everywhere," She rolls her eyes as his grin widens. "Get it? Cause we're both out running?"

"I got it," Avery's hand comes back up to her hair, releasing her ponytail from the hair tie before pushing her fingers through the blonde thickness. Her breath has slowed down but her heart's still beating hard from being startled. "You're everywhere. I'm beginning to think you're stalking me or something."

"Excuse you?" A dry chuckle escapes Ethan's lips as he scoffs. "If anything you're stalking me. Working for my mom and all."

"I didn't even know Anna's your mother." Avery points out.

"My name is literally on the letterhead."

"What?"

"T.H Publishing? Taylor Harrison Publishing."

"Oh," Avery's brows etches together, not having realized at all what the name of the publishing house was short for or that it was short for anything in the first place – to be honest she hasn't paid much thought to the name at all. She pulls at her hair, twisting it back up into a knot. "Well, I'm not stalking you."

"Likewise," Ethan weighs back on his feet. "Sorry I scared you."

She waves her hand dismissively. "Wasn't that bad."

"I've never seen anyone jump that high, so yes it was," As she shrugs his lips pull into a small smile. "So, where are you headed next?"

"I'm taking left up there," She points. "Why?"

"Well, it happens so am I. You wanna run together?"

She narrows her eyes. "Why?"

"Why not?"