41 | senior ditch day

The sun beats down on the gathering of students scattered about the sand dunes of the beach, its blinding rays reflecting upon the surface of the dark blue waters. The ocean breeze seems to be near nonexistent in this sweltering heat, but Avery's lips are in a smile nonetheless; this is the way it's supposed to be.

This is home.

Unlike the day in the park at the beginning of the month, there's no uncomfortable dread settling in her gut now. Nothing but bliss swirls within her as she hooks her woven bag over her shoulder and falls into step with Luke and Nic as the three of them make their way toward the gathering.

Maybe it's the calming presence of the water, or the warm sand beneath her feet. Maybe it's simply the fact she's walking across that graduation stage in a mere two weeks.

She's sure once the day of graduation comes around the panic of no longer being a high school senior will set in, but right now – if anything – she's looking forward to this joint Senior Ditch Day between the graduating classes of Acebridge West and Ace East.

Because of course, as per tradition, on the Monday following their separate senior proms, the two spend this day together.

Which comes as a surprise to no one; never-ending claims of a cutthroat rivalry be damned.

Not even the clouds usually hovering above her on days like these – the ones whispering of cynics and memories of crude words – can eclipse the blinding sunlight shining down on her. She's ready to have fun, to enjoy her day and she's not going to let nothing or no one ruin her good mood.

Which is exactly what Nic is going to do if he keeps up his gloomy facade.

Fidgeting by her side, he drawls out yet another long sigh under his breath – gazing over the beach as if a punishment rather than a chance to skip out on school; one would think he'd be over the moon. She's had to listen to his petulant whining ever since climbing into his car a few minutes before noon, and though she doesn't particularly consider herself a violent person she can't help but to want to reach out and shake him out of his misplaced misery.

As he mumbles yet another incoherent string of words under her breath she whirls around to look at him, the heels of her flats almost slipping her hold where they dangle in her hand.

"What did you say?"

He clears his throat, nodding in the direction of the shore. "Lea and Callie."

Looking in the same direction, she spots Callie and Lea a stone's throw away from the strip of sand where water crosses into dry land and she quickens her step to catch up to them.

"Hi! We were just looking for you!" Callie exclaims, her beaming smile mirroring Avery's as she pulls her into a hug – instantly enveloping her in a scented cloud of sunscreen. Glancing over Avery's shoulder at the boys, her lips twitch in faint amusement as her gaze drifts to Nic. "What's wrong with you?"

Stepping back, Avery rolls her eyes at the sour expression etched into Nic's features. "He's pissed we're not off riding rollercoasters."

"Oh come on," Callie hooks her arm in Nic's, pulling her with him as she resumes walking to find them a suitable spot somewhere across the dunes – not too close to the shore but not too far up either. "Today's going to be so much fun. I promise."

Lea whirls around to follow them, almost knocking Avery off her feet in the process.

"Whoops," Adjusting her grip on the bright green inflated swim toy tucked under her arm, Lea beams. "Sorry."