40 | (almost) summer, again

For the past two hours they've been sat in here, the doors to Beans & Bagels must have swung open and closed at least a few hundred times.

The bustling coffee shop is filled to the brim on this Friday morning, the habitants of Acebridge – sunglasses perched on their heads and their skin tan from the last few weeks of sun – spilling in and out the doors. Some wander in alone, other in groups. Some push strollers in front of them, others walk backwards while in conversation with their friends. Every single one of them on a quest so secure themselves an iced drink before continuing on with their day.

Avery and her four friends among them.

The AC seems to work at its highest capacity to keep the May warmth out of the coffee shop, the orange letters sprawled over the door and the ceiling high windows reflecting the rays of the sun basking the room in a light glow.

The low hum of the espresso machine and the calls from the baristas never cease, melting together with the chatter of the guests and the wails from the unsatisfied toddler sat in a high chair by the table across the room.

Avery sips at her second iced chai of the morning as Ethan and Jake arrive, the cold condensed liquid from the glass trickling down her hand as they whirl through the tables to theirs. Callie hands her an already crumpled up napkin where it lies next to their empty plates and Avery shoots her a small smile as she wipes it off before taking another sip of the iced chai.

Jake pulls a chair out from a nearby table, greeting them with his trademark grin as he drops into a seat upon it. Avery tilts her head back where she's sat in the couch, lips curling into a small smile as Ethan presses a soft kiss to her cheek.

"Hi."

She scoots aside on the worn cushions to make room for him next to her, her lips twitching as his gaze falls to the yellow dress she's in. "Hi."

Extending him her iced chai, she sinks back in her seat and leans her head on his shoulder as she listens to the conversation between her friends.

Sometimes it still feels odd, them spending time together like this, everyone getting along so well. Being friends. She hasn't quite gotten used to it; somehow this – the seven of them all together – is her new normal.

Whether it comes in the shape of being sat at the same table during rush hour at the most popular coffee shop in town or all of them celebrating Luke and Ethan's birthdays back to back. That had been an interesting week. A great week. But definitely a bit of a fever dream.

Taking her iced chai back, she slurps at the melted ice as Nic throws a glance at his watch, already gathering up their plates and trash to put away in the tray stand.

"We should get going."

One quick look at the screen of Avery's phone confirms it's just past 10 a.m. and they should indeed get on with their day and make the short trek to the park.

A few minutes later they trail out the door after one another, shooting small smiles to the old couple stood holding the door as they wait for the group to step outside to leave room for them in the doorway.

Squinting at the strong blinding rays of sun cast over town, they take up the entire sidewalk in three rows as they head down the street toward the park where their schools have yet again come up with a way to bring them all together in the name of celebrating friendly competitive spirit.

Avery lets her hand slip into Ethan's as they follow behind their friends, using her other to nudge her (Ethan's) sunglasses down from her hair to cover her eyes.