Chapter Two

By the time we got home, I was starting to worry about my new mouse. His little frame was shaking like a leaf, increasing every time we went over a bump or around a tight corner. One time, a police went by, blue and red sirens blaring at top level. When I felt the vibrating in my pocket, I thought it was my cell phone buzzing, but when I checked, it was the mouse. His eyes displayed how scared and frightened he was. I slowly petted him on his head, wondering if it was appropriate knowing that it wasn't an actual mouse. Nevertheless, it seemed to ease the shaking.

We got out and grabbed my few bags out of the trunk and hurried up to my room. The wooden banister groaned in protest under my leaning weight while the stairs creaked. I threw my luggage on my bed and locked the door silently. Taking out the startled rodent and setting him on my bed, I tried to think of options. His pink claw immediately went to his shrunken necklace and turned the dial. I looked away and thought of the old cloths Riley, my older brother that is now in the army, had put in the attic. I left him in my room and went up as fast as I could while my parents were still outside unpacking.

I chose a box that was full of clothes roughly the size of the alien's human size. I took it down and dusted it off before I went back into my room. I looked down at the box instead of his total nudity and chose some faded jeans that were ripped at one knee and a black Metallica concert shirt. And some boxers. Hey, at least they're clean. It took about ten minutes to get him to put each article of clothing on correctly, me peeking at him as few times as possible. Finally looking at my handiwork revealed a sort of Goth, with the black contrasting with his pallor and long dark hair.

He looked at them questioningly, looking uncomfortable.

"Okay... do you know anything? English?" I kept getting caught at how white his skin was. He was over six foot, my head barely making his shoulder. How lean and athletic he looked standing there awkwardly in my room backed by the light from my window. And... how he was slightly muscled along his arms and chest, making the shirt stretch across the shoulders...

I shook my head to get the thoughts out. He watched me with a cocked head.

"Umm..." He said it like I had when I found him, and I couldn't help but smile. How velvety and rich his voice sounded in that one drawn out word. I patted the bed for him to sit down, and so he did. He seemed to trust me more now that I had helped him. Sort of. Ugh, this would be a long day, or rather, however long he stayed without killing me. Was he here on innocent terms, like say, to explore and learn? Or was he here to conquer? If the latter option, why would I help him? Hmm...maybe because he was gorgeous.

I thought of teaching him basic letters, like A and B. Maybe I could sound them out for him and write them down. Like a kindergartener. So I shrugged and decided to go ahead and try.

"OK, I'm gonna try and help you out here. You have to pay attention. Understand?" I said without looking at him. I spotted a notebook on my small desk with a gel pen next to it that had been used for homework. I knew he didn't understand me, but it was nice to act as if I weren't talking to myself.

I wrote a capital A and a lower case A. Writing them slowly, you couldn't really tell my handwriting was usually a clumsy chicken scratch. I held it up for him to look at and pointed.

"This is an A. It is a capital version of A." I sounded it out, in the different sounds it could make. He studied it so carefully that I almost expected to see a hole burning itself through the papers. He repeated the sounds I made, speaking them flawlessly. I actually felt impressed when he grabbed the pen from my hand and wrote it down himself. I gave him a smile to congratulate him. I don't know the first thing on how to reward a foreign being, but I'd use whatever I had.