Chapter Twenty Three

Sunday rolled around, and I still didn't see Jace. I suspected he was doing things for his 'assignment.' Probably running halfway across the world again, seeing various archives and old aliens that could offer more information on my kind. It was a strange aspect still, and would probably take another long time to set in, but I couldn't really believe that I was technically a true half blood. They had said the bloodlines fought for dominance; maybe I'd be spared and turn out mostly human. I certainly felt human, with all this pain. Briefly, I wondered if Riley had gone through anything similar. The half bitter and sarcastic vibes of my thoughts kept me occupied for the next day until I received yet another text from Rowan wanting a late night stroll before school the next day.

"How'd your birthday go? Better then the last couple, I hope," he said, playfully elbowing me in the ribs as we began down my road once again.

"It was alright. Had breakfast, took a bath, got presents...the usual."

"A bath, huh?" His eyes caught on my face, knowing I wasn't letting him in on more details. "Okay, then. What'd you get?"

"Mmmm, a ring from my mom, an essential oil diffuser from my dad." I sighed and looked at the houses around us. Various windows were dark and some light, considering it was about eleven at night. Somewhere, a dog barked, setting off some birds from nearby trees. A cockroach scurried by under the light posts' looming beam. I held out my hand, letting the ring glint. "And a box from Jace. Exciting stuff."

His lips twisted to the side, considering. He only barely studied the ring, eyes going to my expression right after. He knew. I knew. But I wasn't going to let him in on more. We walked in silence for another few minutes, our feet tapping the pavement with regular scuffs of pebbles. He huffed, then shoved his hands in his pockets. His eyes glowed brightly tonight, more so than I'd ever seen. I assumed that potion he'd taken before had dimmed the power in the eyes just as it did with his abilities.

"Sky, are you happy?"

Taken aback, I almost stopped walking. Catching my train of thought again, I replied, "Sure, why wouldn't I be?"

"You just seem quiet. And..." He squinted. "Sallow. Like you haven't slept in a week. You don't really offer conversation unless you're spoken to first."

I shrugged, kicking a particularly large pebble out of my way. "It's just been an interesting couple of months, Row. As you can probably imagine, finding an alien is not normal. Or finding out your ex is one of them. Or that there's a race of ugly people out to steal the energy from anything living. That they're everywhere."

"Point taken," he mumbled. "But you seemed fine when I met up with you at the party."

"It's just...a lot to take in. I won't tell you more, but there is more. I'll get over it, it'll just take more time. Everything has come at once, so it doesn't exactly leave a lot of room to think."

"I understand," he murmured. He sounded like he did, or was trying to at least. My heart ached yet again for what we had lost. But it would never be the same. The little burst of love I felt for Jace was a new and lovely thing that I wasn't willing to lose, and it would be hard to find again. I lost the urge to talk, and he seemed to sense it. The night was peaceful, at least. No breezes to numb the face, no need to run anywhere and do something. I was almost glad for school starting tomorrow. My chest caved in with the need to see Jace, to talk to him and put all of it aside.

"Oh, here. Before I forget." His hand rummaged around his jean pocket for a moment, then came up with something small and silver.

"What is it?"

He shrugged, shoving it in my hand. "You kind of have to grab it to see it, Skyler."

I examined it: it weighed about as much as a computer mouse, but was much smaller and compact. The shape was ovoid, surface pocked with little ruts. Kind of like a regular stone you'd find on a sidewalk, but the material was somehow...spongey.