Chapter Thirty

Skyler's POV

When I woke up, the disorienting sensation of being paralyzed stupefied me for an entire five minutes. I didn't know if it was supposed to be day or night, but that was becoming the norm of being in one ship or other. I once again relished the feel of being clean and fully dressed. Instead of getting up immediately, I tucked deeper into the covers and soaked in the warmth and safety of this bunk. For any other occasion, it would have been hard as a rock, but it was a pillow compared to the metal tabletop I'd utilized the past who-knew-how-long.

But, alas, the urge to use the restroom drove me out and into the hallway nevertheless. I had avoided using it before sleep, aware of the new stares on the shining tattoos that twined the visible skin of my face and arm. I'd been given a chiton, extremely cloudy as it piled in folds of pale material, so greek-like in fashion to the point that Lirah actually smiled.  My bare arms goosebumped in the chilly air. Or rather, the memory of goosebumps. I guessed I wouldn't be feeling them very much for now on.

The restroom was a metallic maze of sinks, stalls with toilet-like contraptions, and showers. Each was divided into its' own cubicle that walled off from the others. It all provided perfect privacy and access to all you needed, and I wondered why humans didn't architect like this. Some jewels were set into sink knobs and door handles, random in the utilitarian nature of the rest of the structures around it. It reminded me of the modern version of my bejeweled dagger. Last I had seen it, Rayne was attacking a Sharve with it. I shrugged and went into a cubicle.

The mirror atop the sink reflected my ghostly face back at me. I winced. I didn't look like myself, but like a...faerie almost. My ears were slightly pointed now, accentuating my now doe sized eyes. They glowed and swirled like Jace's, but they were more unnerving. No wonder Mom wanted to Shift them to something more normal.

And then the tattoo. I hadn't yet seen it. My eyes scanned over my cheek, but it took a second to pinpoint it's faint marking in my skin. The light in this little room was dim, and the Markings were so light and faint that it merely resembled dried glue. With a slight shine. I scowled at myself, and my eyes changed from blue to green. It freaked me out, bringing me back to the memory of that mental scene I'd been trapped in. While I Changed.

The lightning. The cage it had formed. Blue and green, the darkness of the sea roiling around me...

Before I knew it, I was huddled against a corner, knees drawn up to my chest as a sob ripped from my lungs. I didn't care if the grecian robe got dirty. To hell with everything. My chest squeezed painfully as I relived the past week with the Sharves, how I'd burned like I  had gone to hell. The eery clicks and snarls they made, the threats. In the span of a couple of months, my whole life had overturned into a mess of lies. Everything I had known to be true and fact had flickered, leaving me on uncertain ground. My skin tingled as a faint smell of ozone surrounded me in this tight space.

"Skyler?"

I quieted, trying to hold my breath past the ragged hiccups that shuddered throughout my chest. Footsteps approached my cubicle of a restroom, then a soft knock at the flimsy metal door. "Sky? I know you're in there."

I ground my teeth as I recognized the voice. The lock turned of its' own accord and let her in. My mother was wearing her human form now, standing with her head held high and bright eyes shining with intelligence. She wore a matching chiton. I was jealous because she wore it very well, though I'd not admit it to her. Ever. My curves were so slight in comparison.

"Come to breakfast, would you?" she murmured, crouching by my side and lifting my chin so I'd be forced to look at her face.

"Leave me alone," I replied, dragging my head away. I allowed my hair to fall in a curtain across my face. "I'm dealing with it all, okay? I just need time. To sort out this life I was never prepared for, thanks to you."