Chapter Twenty Two

My parents were in bed when I got home. I had checked my phone and saw that they had texted me a couple of times, first asking when I would be home, then happy birthday, then that they were going to sleep. My hands firmly tucked into my pockets for warmth, I headed to my room.

Jace was sitting on my bed, legs crossed with hair in his face. He looked up from a book with hunched shoulders. His eyes were shifting with unrestrained annoyance, and I took a step back. Guilt melted the effects of the unexpectedly good start to my birthday, but I reminded myself that I was allowed to have friends, which included other alien boys. Ones I had dated...well, maybe not. I sighed.

"Where did you go with him?" he asked quietly, voice steady. His gaze didn't waver. I swept my hair away from my face uncomfortably.

"We just ate. He wanted to say happy birthday at midnight."

He placed the book next to him, obviously a prop, and stood with fluid predatory grace. In an instant, he was only inches from my face, green glow dancing over my skin with the accompanied tingles jumping to desperately meet his touch. I sucked in a breath at the hurt that flashed over his face, followed by anger.

"Ate? Was that all?"

"Yes, I swear Jace. Nothing happened. He's just a friend." My voice cracked. I realized my hands had balled into protective little fists that sat cold and clammy at the bottom of my sweatshirt pocket. His breath touched my face, smelling like that exotic spice. It flared in my chest, aching for him to be closer.

"He was carrying you. Like he had taken you some place. Did you not think I wanted to be the first to wish you a good birthday, Skyler?" He looked away finally, running a hand through his black waves. I felt shorter than usual somehow, my insides cringing inside my ribcage. "Did you have a great time? With your ex-boyfriend?"

Now I was the one to look to the side as if slapped, his words hitting me like clipped hard rocks. I didn't blame him, I wouldn't want him to see an ex-girlfriend like a "friend." I hadn't done anything. But I didn't know how to help this situation when my head was scrambling more than an egg, a new ache stretching to my temples. My voice tumbled out.

"Yes, he's my ex, Jace. But I literally don't see him that way anymore. I'm with you. I love you. You can probably see that in my aura, right? You don't have anything to worry about. All I can say is that if you don't want me to see him, then I won't. But I didn't think it'd be an issue. I've made my boundaries clear to him, trust me. He's only a friend, if that, probably more an acquaintance than anything."

I watched his chest rise and fall in irregular short breaths, then saw them slow. His eyes flickered when he blinked, their light dimming but not done shifting. He looked back to me, but not quite at me, seeing something else. My aura.

"Why are you so guilty then?" he murmured, voice roughening. "I see your love, but why guilt? For the past couple of weeks. And-" he squinted "-embarrassment?"

"Well, wouldn't you?" I shrugged, switching feet. I hoped that my parents wouldn't be woken up with our voices, especially my mom with her hearing. I winced. The hope that I was making amends made me almost relieved. "Because, I love you and of course I'll feel guilty when I hurt you somehow. Even if there's not a real reason. It's how it is. And I'm embarrassed because...well, I don't know. I don't like looking bad in front of you, maybe."

He was still for three long breaths, eyes fastened to my face. I wanted to squirm. My neck was aching with the effort of looking up at him along with the pounding in my head. My brain felt swollen, throbbing like a wound. When would the pain end? This thought distracted me momentarily, so I was stunned when Jace swept forward and pulled me to his chest. His heart beat in bird-like flutters. It reassured me, so I eased into it. My hands balled in the fabric of his t-shirt. I realized that my cheeks were damp.