Chapter Seven

We chatted about basic subjects that needed updated, such as how school was going, if I had any boyfriends, blah blah blah. I didn't mention Jace for a reason I couldn't explain to myself. Riley told us about his routine in the army, how he was talking to a girl named Sarah and that she was really great. I was happy for him and how content he seemed. I sat next to him on the couch, his weight dipping the cushion so much that I was gravitating to his side.

"I cleaned your room for you. It was a dump." He mussed my hair once again, so I stuck out my tongue like a five year old. His presence reminded me of how young I actually was; being with Jace for the past couple weeks had put me in an adult mentality and role. Time slipped further into the evening with low sun rays peering through the curtained window.

But then, a knock on the door paused the good mood.

"Expecting anyone?" I asked my family. My parents shook their heads in return.

I got up to answer it, Riley two steps behind me with curiosity written clearly on his face.

"Jace?" I hissed. He stood in the cone of porch light like a Greek statue that had been dressed like a modern teenager. His shoulders were held in a tense line as shadows exemplified the sharp bone structure of his face.

"Jace?" Riley echoed, teasing. "I thought you said you didn't have any boyfriends?"

I rolled my eyes and quickly introduced them. Riley looked suddenly uncomfortable, a hint of guarded protectiveness radiating from his stance.

"He's a good friend, is all. Be nice," I scolded. Turning back to the alien, I said "What are you doing here? Is everything alright?"

I pin him with a pointed look that clearly said that he wasn't supposed to be here. He looked more awkward than usual now; he didn't know the tools to handle this kind of familial situation.

"Um...I need you for...." He searched for a word. "Something. You would be interested."

A flash of worry had me throwing an excuse at my parents in passing, grabbing a leather jacket and slippers, and joining Jace on the porch ready to go instantly. Riley watched us for a moment, then closed the door.

Turnng on Jace, I asked him the obvious question. "What's wrong?"

He squirmed a little. "Um...there are people at my house. I do not know what to do. They are asking me questions." Confusion and annoyance made me scowl as we started the walk to his place. I spotted the car from down the street immediately, a sleek black Mercedes sedan that was parked elegantly against the cracked curb. My panic peaked as ideas of FBI agents with guns and secret organizations filled my head. It wouldn't be odd, considering his kind seems to have been coming here for a long time. 

Upon entry, I made out two figures sitting on the sunken brown couch by the living room window. It was a middle aged couple; the woman was very thin and short, with a severe bun and expensive cocktail dress that complimented her frail form. The man was short as well, with a startlingly stocky build and gray hair. His charcoal suit was finely pressed with straight edges and pristine neutral colors.

"Hello," the woman said in a shrill whine that failed the polite expression on her face. "May we ask who you are?"

I draped my jacket on the banister while watching them. Jace remained silent, studying every move I made and obviously waiting for my reaction to these strangers. He leaned on the wall with crossed arms, the perfect picture of ease.

"Darlin', I was going to ask you the same thing. Who are you and what do you want?" My voice cut through the now tense air like a knife. I crossed my arms in offended resolution. I didn't like them already.