Chapter Thirteen

We looked at each other, me exasperated and him worried. Together, we went to the door and peered out of the curtain covering the door window.

On the porch stood two figures, but I couldn't make them out because they stood off to the sides. Jace glanced at me questioningly, asking the question I wanted to ask. Sighing and rolling my eyes, I nodded. We couldn't let whoever it was just stand there all day, and might as well get it over with. I just wanted to be done with today already.

The buttery morning light shimmered around the two figures in a golden halo, outlining their stunning beauty. The girl had glowing blue eyes and dark brown hair that flowed down her back in gorgeous waves of chestnut. Her eyes were outlined in thick eyelashes that made them look impossibly bigger; her face was a delicate heart shape that was made more so by her dazzling smile. She had a perfect hourglass figure, and all in all, gave the impression we were in the presence of some kind of sea goddess. The boy was similar to her in features, with light brown eyes and blond hair that was almost like Jace's in the cut and texture.

I wanted scoff out loud, but refrained. Was this a joke? More of them? They were clearly not human, giving the same hints of otherness as Jace in the eyes and skin, the sharp cheekbones and cool beauty. Now that I was looking for it, anyway. I had the urge to curl into a ball somewhere, leaving them to their devices so I wouldn't sully the exquisite atmosphere the three of them made with my ordinary human ambience.

"Hello," Jace said, sounding polite and careful. He knew too. But I could feel by his tense arm next to mine that he was ready for anything, confused just as I was. The girl smiled, blinding white teeth and all.

"Hi. I'm Rayne and this is Jaden." She gestured towards her companion. "Are you Jace?"

Jace quickly glanced at me, silently asking for help. "Yes, I am," he replied slowly. "What can I help you with?"

The boy, Jaden, stepped forward now. "Yes." His voice was just as intoxicating and alluring as Jace's. "Do you know what we have had to do to cover up your trail? Did the Council teach you nothing?" he demanded.

"Uh, why don't you come in?" I said, stepping back to allow them past. They nodded and stepped in, walking to the couches and gracefully perching on the edge of the cushions. When they passed, I had to catch myself from sniffing the air around them, their heady scents flooding my nose with something floral and dark. The girl remained nonchalant whilst her companion looked grim and agitated.

"No, they did not. No training or meeting before I was sent," Jace commented as we followed and sat on the couch across from them. We sat in awkward silence as all of us studied each other. I had another urge to giggle at the strangeness of having so many inhuman and unrealistically beautiful people packed into a cute and cozy space like this. The prominence of all three beings squished me mentally into a tight corner, the bright lights of vital life sunbursts of awareness nagging me.

"Well?" I prompted bluntly. Their eyebrows rose and they smiled despite themselves.

"You did not cover your tracks very well, Jace," the girl said. She looked between us, assessing us I guessed. "If I may ask, how did you two meet? You are a very...odd pairing for a Landing couple."

My cheeks flushed. What, did I stand out to them as not belonging with him also? And by 'couple', I didn't even know myself, but from the sounds of it, it wasn't a good idea.  I focused my eyes on the morning sunlight that streamed through the windows so that my gaze wouldn't wander to Jace's face. If it was forbidden, then I was already in trouble. My heart squeezed anxiously. 

Jace caught my reaction and put a hand on my shoulder. "What they mean is that pairings are usually with a new Landing Morfilian and an older human who is experienced with life here on Earth." He looked back at Rayne and Jaden. "Skyler has been great help to me. It just happened that way. I would not be where I am if not for her." I noticed the hand on my shoulder was affectionate yet semi-platonic, the image of friendship for the pair of strangers. I wanted to roll my eyes again, but the tingling heat under his palm gave me the urge to lean in and see how much I could get.