[SEVENTEEN] worth the risk

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN // WORTH THE RISK
"IT'S JUST GOT LESS
MEMORIES WITH IT."

ִֶָ 𓂃⊹ ִֶָ

The next morning, those at the farm stacked rocks between two trees in memory of Otis. They were silent as they placed them along the ground, forming a small stacked oval, leaving only a few in the wheelbarrow for the memorial.

As they worked, a motorcycles engine was heard from along the dirt road, alerting the group of the other members arrival. Jade was the first to move way from the tree, eager to see her father again. Daryl was soon seen on his bike, followed by the RV and another vehicle.

Each member of the group moved to the front of the farmhouse as the vehicles parked. The remaining members of the Greene family that had been inside the house, soon exited along with Lori and Rick.

The Horvath met in front of the RV, each of them holding Dale in an embrace, having missed the member that wasn't there. Dale held his arm over his daughter as he looked ahead to Rick. "How is he?" The oldest Horvath spoke for the group.

"He'll pull through, thanks to Hershel, his people, and you're daughter being a fast runner." Lori spoke kindly, smiling back at Hershel.

"And Shane." Rick interrupted his wife, looking to his best friend. "We'd have lost Carl if not for him."

"How'd it happen?" Dale asked after he pulled away from a quick embrace with Rick.

"Hunting accident. That's all- just a stupid accident." Rick answered shortly.

They then explained the loss of Otis and how he had died from trying to get supplies for Carl's surgery. After that, the group moved to where they had set the rocks, rounding around where Hershel stood with his bible.

Hershel spoke from his bible, performing the funeral for Otis, speaking kind words and scripture. The family members each grabbing one of the rocks from the wheelbarrow, placing it on the pile.

Beth was the next to step forward, placing a rock down in solidarity of her fallen family member. "Blessed be God, father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for the span of his years.. For his abundance of character; Otis who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset." The man spoke quietly, a subtle pain present in his voice.

Jade pulled her niece close to her, Theodora's back pressed against Jade's stomach. The Horvath girl stood between her brother and Glenn, the former of the pair constantly glancing over to Jade.

"We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace." Hershel finished, looking up at the sky. "Shane, will you speak for Otis?" Hershel questioned, closing his bible as he looked towards the Walsh.

"I'm not good at it. I'm sorry." Shane said simply, his gaze dropping to the ground.

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning." Patricia pleaded, her voice cracking and her eyes filled with tears.

"Okay." The Walsh spoke, stepping forward. "We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up. 'We've got to save the boy.' See, that's what he said."

Jade glanced to the right, looking at how Shane avoided eye contact with everyone in the group. Noting how he was acting, she honestly didn't believe what Shane was doing. Looking towards her father, she noticed a questionable look adorning his face that matched hers.