[ONE] the tank

CHAPTER ONE // THE TANK
"HEY, YOU. DUMBASS.
YEAH YOU IN THE TANK.
ARE YOU COZY IN THERE?"

ִֶָ 𓂃⊹ ִֶָ

Jade Horvath sat in the driver's seat of the van the group had decided on taking for their run, Glenn in the passenger with a map, assuring them they were going the correct way, with T-Dog, Andrea, Jacqui, Morales, and Merle Dixon all piled in the two back rows. The brunettes fingers tapped on the wheel as she drove, keeping an eye out for the possibility of the group of walkers having moved.

The car was silent aside from the occasional crude comment by Merle or the directions being given by Glenn. Each of them had their personal weapons with them, their own personal list of things to look for going through their heads as they approached the store.

Once they pulled up to the back of the store, there were 3 walkers stalking around the area near the door, all of which had turned towards the vehicle. Jade took off her seatbelt, reaching down beside Glenn's feet to grab the wrench she had used since the first day the dead started to rise. The trusty weapon had blood stains from walkers, slight rust growing from the thick red liquid, as well as small dents from when she had used it in her shop.

Jade had loud music playing from the boombox resting on the counter beside the car she was working on. She was alone in the shop, it was closer to the end of the day, she had closed the shop early due to the news reports about the riots had been playing throughout the day.

She had received a phone call not much earlier from her father, instructing her to come home so she could be safe and at home with her family. The brunette told Dale that she would be home shortly, needing to finish up a job that would be picked up early the next morning.

As she was replacing the battery in the car, a soft shuffle of footsteps could be heard from behind her near the front of the shop. Wiping her hands on one of the rags hanging off her tool kit she set the wrench down on the edge of the counter, draping the rag over her shoulder as she walked to the front of the shop.

They had bought a small, old firehouse they had found for cheap on the outskirts of Atlanta, so the front door was a large garage door rather than a regular door. As she walked forward, she could see a man stood a few feet away from the front counter, his clothes were disheveled, all ripped and dirty. He was slouching as it looked like he was smelling the air, facing the open door as his hands twitched at its sides.

"Sir? Uh, the shop's closed." She stated loudly, watching as the man slowly turned towards her. He was insanely pale, his veins evident on his face and in his neck, his eyes were a pale gray color with hints of white as he stared at her. As Jade looked over the man's figure a large wound could be spotted on the man's neck, a large stream of blood running down his shirt. "Holy shit. Sir, are you okay? You're bleeding." Her tone was shakey as the man stumbled toward her, an inhuman growl sounding as he moved closer.

He moved over the counter as his hands were trying to grab at her, his teeth snapping as he fell over. Jade screamed as she ran towards the back of shop, grabbing the wrench that was on the counter as she rushed to the back, her breath was uneven as she tried to make it to her cell phone. She dialed her brothers number as she hid behind a counter, Jade had tears in her eyes as she heard the mans growls and snarls.

"Hi auntie Jade!" Theodora exclaimed through the phone.

"Hey, Teddy Bear, I need you pass the phone to your daddy, okay?" Jade told the young girl, trying to stop the fear in her voice from reaching her young niece.