[TWENTY-THREE] shane's decision

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE // SHANE'S DECISION
"OH GREAT,
PSYCHO'S BACK."

ִֶָ 𓂃⊹ ִֶָ

Jade sat on the stairs of the farmhouse, reading yet another novel she had taken from her fathers small supply. The girl was deeply enthralled within the book, her mind finally moving off the horrible tragedies that surrounded her. She thought back to the first time she borrowed the book, Dale and herself had been on the way home from a small camping trip the week before her first day of high school.

The girl that sat in the van that day was much more enthusiastic about life, she didn't hide her secrets or troubles as a way to protect herself. She hadn't been through heartbreak, or true fear. Jade was pulled back into those days, the smell of pine and tree-sap was still evident on their clothes and boots. Their smiles almost permanently plastered onto their faces as Dale drove.

Queen played loudly through the speakers as she read, the brunette still able to find a way to perfectly pay attention to the words on the pages as she sang along the familiar song. The pair would always listen to the band on the way to and from their camping trips, it was the time when they properly bonded. Away from Jade's mother and Nick, a time for themselves to do what they loved.

The RV held so many splendid memories for the two of them, Jade was glad it had somehow made it through the apocalypse, same as they had. It meant to much to her. Her house had never truly felt like home. She never properly understood the photos and quotes that hung on the walls that made every family seem picture-perfect in every house she came across.

She always felt contained within her house, her bedroom never seeming as an escape as it is to most teenagers. The RV was the place should could scream her favorite songs at the top of her lungs, have a peaceful place to read or do her homework.

Whenever she was ever feeling contained, or overwhelmed, she would escape to the RV. Sometimes just sitting there and breathing in the familiar smell of pine that was basically infused into the carpet, other times sitting there as she dealt with the constant bullying at school, the arguments with boyfriends or her own family.

The girl would constantly sneak out her bedroom window, just for a way to spend the night in the RV, often being caught by her father, thinking there was a burglar or squatter within the large vehicle.

Her thoughts were taken away from her past as footsteps sounded in front of her, drawing her attention. Looking away from the words that covered the pages, she saw Glenn standing before her, a worried smile on his face.

"Hey, Glenn." Jade started, her voice uneasy as she studied his expression. "Is everything okay?"

"Have you seen Shane or your dad?" Glenn asked quickly, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"No, not since earlier. Why?" The girl questioned, shutting her book as Glenn sat down beside her.

"Shane asked where Dale was, and when I said that I didn't know, he got angry and stormed off into the forest." Glenn answered with a sigh, rubbing his palms on his jeans.

"Oh God. That's not good." She replied.

"Yeah, tell me about it." Glenn continued, originally not noticing her growing worry as Jade scanned the surrounding area for her father. "I mean, I'm sure he's fine. Probably just annoyed the hell out of Shane, your dad does that a lot."

Glenn moved his hand onto hers as they held eye contact with one another, the Korean softly squeezing Jade's hand as a form of assurance along with his words.