2

Chapter 2

Luna

Walking around the plaza, watching everyone prepare for the selection, and I am walking around asking if anyone needs some help.

“Luna! Dear, can you carry this to the stage over there please?” Mr. Drake said pointing at the stage located at the middle of the plaza.

“Okay, Sir.” I said taking the woods he said for me to bring to the plaza.

“Over here, Luna!” Dexter said waving his hands at me. I brought the woods towards him and he took it giving it to the man with the hammer.

“You excited?” Dexter asked while watching the man connect the woods to cover the hole on the stage.

“Yeah, but at the same time, nervous.”

“Well, I am too, you know.” Dexter said now looking at me.

“Oh wow, I didn't notice.” I said sarcastically.

“But in all seriousness, let's just Faith do their thing.” He said then headed to a man who needed help carrying something.

I left the plaza and headed home.

I reached the orphanage and changed to my work out clothes, I took my bow and arrows, my twin daggers and my sword. I headed at the wide clearing behind the orphanage and stood 20 meters away from the targets.

After two hours of practicing my aim, I headed to the dummy Camron, made for me and Dexter. I took out my twin daggers and practiced with it, after an hour or so, I took my sword and practiced my combat skills.

               _____________________________

It's night time now and I'm still practicing.

“You have to eat you know.” A soft and melodic voice said from behind.

“I know, it's just that-”

“You're anxious, I know. But that is not an excuse to tire yourself to death. Believe in yourself more, Luna. No one is going to believe in you truly other than yourself, but.. always remember that when you can't believe in yourself, we're here believing you. ” Niana said, turning me around and putting her hands on my shoulders while looking at my eyes.

“It's just that, what if I don't get chosen?” I said fiddling with my blistered and calloused hand.

“It's alright to be scared, it's alright to doubt yourself. That's why we're here. But don't let doubt hold you back. Believe Luna, believe.” Niana said dragging me inside the house towards the dining table to eat with them.

“We will not be surprised if you got chosen. After all, it's you who's more capable here.” Camron said while eating.

“Yeah! So don't be scared!” Jackson and Carson said in unison.

“Wow guys, I'm here too.” Dexter said waving his hand frantically up and down making all of us laugh.

“Thanks guys.” I said smiling at them.

                _____________________________

As Dexter and I walked on a path leading to the center of the Mt. Cathedral where the stage is located, many people are there, gossiping, or just enjoying the day.

Carrying our things, we reached the main plaza and you can see people, from kids to elders all around the plaza. The 16 to 20 years olds are lined up. Dexter and I both get lined up and after a moment, we heard  numerous roar, which sends shivers down my spine.

They're absolutely fascinating. Watching dragons land flawlessly one by one while their riders swiftly got down on their backs. The dragons aligned themselves and the riders went on the stage.

After a minute of silence, the man in a red cloak step forward and spoke with monotoned voice.

“We riders are honored to watch people gets chosen to be one of us. Before me start this selection, we want to inform of you that your future experience will not be beautiful. You all will experience hardships on training, and studying. If you think that this will be fun, then you're wrong.

We don't need people slacking off, we don't need people who give up easily because it's hard for them, and we don't need people who's here for fun and not taking all of this seriously.So, we are giving all of you a chance to walk away from this line if you are those people I mentioned.”

The man said and then murmurings began. A lot of people walked away, mainly those who is 16-18 years old. Dexter and I stood our ground, already made a decision.

After a few minutes, only a few stayed so the man in a red coat started talking again.

“You made your decision. Let me inform all of you who stayed that this dragons you all are facing right now is a special dragons who lived centuries ago. It is given to us to raise dragon riders population to protect earth. One, or more dragons are going to bow down to each of you which will reveal your element. I know you all know this, but let me repeat it once again.

Red is Fire, Blue is Water, Green is Nature, White is Air, Silver is Light, and Black is Darkness.

Let us begin.”

Edited: February 13, 2022.
-Greaueen