11. Four Little Monkeys Were Jumping on the Bed and I Think You Know the End

„We hold in our hearts the sword and the faith..." - My Chemical Romance, Desert Song

———

Approximately, four months ago

Sighing, Frank stopped walking and tugged on the horse reins tangled in his left hand. His horse stopped a moment later, realizing that Frank wasn't going to let it keep walking. It neighed quietly, then huffed in satisfaction when Frank patted its neck distractedly, twirling its silky hair between his fingers.

Pete and Brendon, who were walking beside him, stopped in their tracks as well, shifting their bodies to look at their Prince. And when he realized they had stopped, Ray, who was walking before them and leading their way through the woods, turned around, shushing his neighing horse who was rather obviously not pleased by the sudden stop.

Ray raised his eyebrows, a few of his curls picking out of his helmet, his high voice different and loud in the silence of the woods. "Why'd you stop?"

Frank raised his right hand to his face and massaged the bridge of his nose, irritated to no end. They had been walking for almost eight days by now, nothing but more leaves and trees to see, the occasional little animal running through the thick bushes. It was getting frustrating, and it was pissing Frank off.

Before they had headed that direction, Ray and Pete had both promised Frank that he will find a civilization there. They hadn't told him their resources, and Brendon was as clueless as him on the matter. He trusted them, becasue they were his advisors and they were his freinds, but as the days passed, with nothing but green, green, and more fucking green, Frank was starting to lose his patience.

"Are you sure we're going in the right direction?" He asked skeptically, his left hand unconsciously rubbing his horse's neck a little too forcefully. It neighed, and pushed its nose onto Frank's shoulder, huffing. Frank stilled his motions, feeling slightly guilty for paining the loyal animal. His horse, he decided, was getting an extra apple that night.

Ray sighed. "Yes Frank, I'm sure. Pete and I already told you there are people there, just trust us. We've almost reached it, maybe a day or more of walking."

"Ray, we've been walking for eight days, and you've been saying that for at least half of them!" Frank exclaimed, eyeing Ray tiredly.

"Hey, Frank c'mon - Ray knows where he's going. It's hard to get through this place, he's doing his best." Pete said, giving Frank a pat on the back that was somehow supposed to be understanding and comforting.

It was not.

Grinding his teeth together against the realization that he didn't have many options but to let Ray lead the way, Frank could only think that he wasn't quite sure which of the two he wanted to smack first. In fact, he didn't think it mattered; he'd just smack the both of them, preferably at the same time. it might not do much to further their journey, but at least it'll satisfy him, he reasoned to himself.

"Yeah Frank, listen to the dwarf." Ray called from where he had already turned back to face the trees and the woods, tugging his horse with him. He began walking again, forcing Frank, Pete and Brendon to move their legs one more as well so they could keep up with him.

And yeah, that was definitely the last straw. Ray, Frank decided. He wanted to smack Ray first. Definitely, one hundred percent Ray.

"Pete and I are the same height asshole," Frank groaned, his eye twitching at the mention of his height. Or rather, his lack of it. "You calling me a dwarf?" He said, but he could feel just a tiny bit of his irritation and tension melt away already.